• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

newbie first time buying plants

miggsy

Seedling
Hi All

I now have everything in place ready to buy the plants can someone run there eye over them to see if i have made any newbie mistakes

1-limnophillia aromatica
2-ludwiga repens
3-hygrophilia compacta
4-ludwiga glandulosa
5-cryptocoryne wendtii tropica
6-hemianthus callitrichoides
7-didiplis diandra
8-heteranthera zosterifolia
9-anubias nana

Tank specs as follows

3foot x18x15 4x39w arcadia over lamp two lamps on 10hrs then the other two for a two hour burst midday

fluval 304 external,hydor 300w heater,pressurised co2 5kg bottle sea chem flourite substrate with sand on top

i think thats it

cheers

Mike

havent bought them yet but havent a clue what im getting

so any recomendations

cheers Aaron

So do i do both or either one because i feel a bit scared with the dry powder way

Cheers

Mike

trying to get my head round it really

i might start off with the tpn+ then go with the dry powder way once i suss it out

here are the main bts of info that you could print off to help if you want:

Elements required:

KNO3 - Potassium Nitrate
KH2PO4 - Potassium Phosphate (monobasic)
Traces mix

the following are optional:

KH2SO4 - Potassium Sulphate (Sulphate of Potash) - normally enough potassium is added with the potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate but you can add more
Magnesium Sulphate - add if your tap water is low in magnesium.
GH Booster - If you have very low GH (less than 4degrees), this adds calcium & magnesium.

How to prepare in solution: (they can be added in dry powder form which saves messing)

Potassium Nitrate - 40g to 500ml of water and adding 10ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 5ppm.
Potassium Phosphate - 15g to 500ml of water and adding 5ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 1ppm.
Potassium Sulphate - 55g to 500ml of water and adding 10ml per 100L of water would give you a value of 5ppm
Magnesium Sulphate - 70g to 500ml of water and add 50ml once a week per 100L of water - this would give a target of 7ppm.
Trace mix - 15g to 250ml of water will give you similar levels as off the shelf products

40-60 Gallons (152-227 litres)
30ml solution or 1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
18ml solution or 1/8 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
8ml solution or 1/8 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
10ml or 1/8 tsp traces 3x a week

Back