• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

£130 is a lot of cash to spend on algae I havn't got. I still think its an ozone machine with its own fancy controller and this is why the manufacturer is being so cagey about how it works.
I thought they were over £200?

The sterilizing power is a bit quicker than UV at least this has cleared up the tank cloudiness in 2 days. But even after 1st day the tank was clear it just got clearer for the 2nd day.
Cool! That is quick. The high price might still make this interesting for aquarium clubs (sorry if the that is the wrong term), They could share one and just pass it around to members if they get into trouble and don't have access to Ceg's advice ;)

Sounds like an ozone generator to me...
increased clarity due to oxidized organics
increased dissolved oxygen levels improving fish heath
disinfecting qualities destroying algae etc on contact.
There are much cheaper options on the market...

Sounds like an ozone generator to me...
increased clarity due to oxidized organics
increased dissolved oxygen levels improving fish heath
disinfecting qualities destroying algae etc on contact.
There are much cheaper options on the market...
Thats why the makers don't want to tell you how it works.
Any reefers got an ozone machine to try in a planted tank?

But where filters used with oxygen - Tom Barr using this way a while ago if i am right, you can push the limits more with light and co2 and the filter works more efficient - algae has less chances.

This does not mean it is oxygen or i understand how this device works :)

Yes, I found out that a air pump in the tank at night helped a lot with clarity and condition of the tanks.. So we not sure how this works, just that it does? :)

Sorry for so many posts.. but finding information about this ozone.. I did not look at it before, thought this product was another gymmic.. The idea is not new.. it has been used in reefs for a while now..
Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

This was interesting..
Ammonia
Another of ozone's potential reactions and its byproducts with inorganic compounds in seawater is with ammonia. In fact, ozone is quite effective at converting ammonia into nitrate. The reaction is fast enough that if sufficient ammonia is present in seawater, it will happen preferentially to reactions that lead to bromate.3,12,13 An intermediate species in the process is bromamine (the bromine equivalent of chloramine), but fortunately (because it is toxic) it usually is further oxidized to bromide and nitrate.
BrOH + NH3 à NH2Br​
NH2Br + O3 + 2OH- à NO3- + Br- + 2H2O​
Presumably it is not harmful, and may be beneficial to reduce the ammonia to nitrate more rapidly. It may lead to higher nitrate concentrations in the aquarium, however, and may also lead to a different ratio of nitrogen export via different mechanisms because some methods (such as growing some species of macroalgae) prefer ammonia over nitrate.

Iron
Iron can be present in two primary forms in seawater: ferric ion (Fe+++) and ferrous ion (Fe++). Ferric ion is the more stable form in oxygenated seawater, but ferrous forms may remain for a substantial period before being oxidized to ferric ion. The ferrous form is more readily taken up by many organisms (including people), partly because it is more soluble and partly due to biological membrane transport mechanisms. But many organisms can convert ferric ion into ferrous ion on their surfaces just as they are taking it up, so the importance of the exact form is not entirely clear. I dose ferrous ion when adding iron to my aquarium.
Ozone can readily convert ferrous ion into ferric ion.14-16 That oxidation may, in fact, be part of what is actually measured in seawater's ORP changes. The conversion may be even faster for complexed ferrous ion than for free ferrous ions in seawater, and the complexing to organics may be able to keep the ferric iron in solution even after oxidation.17
Finally, ozone may serve to break iron free from very strong complexes in which it is not readily bioavailable. Iron EDTA complexes, for example, may require photolytic cleavage to become bioavailable in aquaria without ozone, and oxidation of the complex with ozone may serve a similar purpose.

Found this in ZA.. so will try it.. They use it here for disinfecting food and water..
http://www.ozogen.co.za/Instruction%20leaflet%20OzoPure%2001.pdf

green_giant2.JPG
OzoPure - Home Multi-Use - This unit is designed for home use to sanitise air, water and for basic treatments. The unit comes complete with tubing and diffuser stones. High ozone output with the ability to cycle on and off according to selected timer settings.​
Ozone output: Max 500 mg/hr​
Recommended Retail: R1482 inclusive of VAT​

Yes, I found out that a air pump in the tank at night helped a lot with clarity and condition of the tanks.. So we not sure how this works, just that it does?
I have found this as well, lot clearer water after running air at night. I suspect though, all it does is create different flow and circulation in the tank allowing any accumulated detritus to taken out by the filtration.

Interesting read and nice to see a review viktor, please keep us informed as time goes on.
Would like to know if its effective with BBA also....

Based on the product info this isn't good for green water and brush algae.
For many it is including hair, fuzz, bga, gda, dust

Good place to try it would be in the large Pet's at home tank, the one with cloudiness.. :)

Would be nice :) This little device is limited to use on a specific tank size only.
For example the one we're using the Nano model is not suitable for small size aquarium and large one over 250L
The largest Twinstar handles 350L max as i see.

Would be nice :) This little device is limited to use on a specific tank size only.
For example the one we're using the Nano model is not suitable for small size aquarium and large one over 250L
The largest Twinstar handles 350L max as i see.

Get two or three.. :) but yes, I see what you mean..

I contacted some of the retailers, none of them know how it works and they just direct me to the marketing hyperbole...nevertheless they all state without exception - it is not an ozone generator...hmmm... more than a bit abstruse don't you think?...if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck!...

I contacted some of the retailers, none of them know how it works and they just direct me to the marketing hyperbole...nevertheless they all state without exception - it is not an ozone generator...hmmm... more than a bit abstruse don't you think?...if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck!...

or a roboduck! :)

or a roboduck! :)

Luis, I don't think you are right!
Twinstar is being discussed on numerous forums, ozone has a vey distinctive smell & one experienced ozone user is convinced that Twinstar is not producing ozone as he trapped some of the bubbles in a container & could not detect any smell!
However I have no idea if that is a fact, just quoting from another forum.

Back