• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fallen Tree

I keep seeing people say nutrasoil will buffer water but I have used it in a few tanks and never have a pH lower than 7 before co2 kicks in?

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 4

I keep seeing people say nutrasoil will buffer water but I have used it in a few tanks and never have a pH lower than 7 before co2 kicks in?

I've always struggled to get pH to 7 - I've always just used tap water which comes out at 8 (!). My RO is bang on 6, so for the first time I'm going to be working upwards rather than down. Will be interesting to see if the soil changes this - I've never checked to be honest.

Works fine for me ali. Weird that its not worked for you mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Works fine for me ali. Weird that its not worked for you mate

Strange I guess I must be adding something to push it back up.

OK, apologies for the quality - my first ever video posting - but here goes....

This is with filter running at about 80% and CO2 circulation pump at about 70% - any more than this, and the flow starts to pick up the soil at the far end. So, need to reduce this or disperse it better.

Looking good mate. all the plants seem happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Nice. I bet your glad to see it full after a lot of preparation to get to this stage mate.
I like what you've done with the outflow of the filter and like how it's rippling the surface. I believe the benefits of this outweighs the bad, aslong as your willing to counteract the gas off with more co2.

I know it's early days, but what's the plan from here? Are you going to allow the tank to adjust to being submerged, and run high gas, then scale it back? Or are you looking at getting fish in there as soon as possible? Filter allowing of course.

Looks great now its filled and think youve got the flow spot on their as its clearly blowing around the whole tank.
Great stuff mate. Bet your relieved now hey????

What a day.....tank-filling, acrylic-bending, dosing, measuring, co2 solenoid malfunction.....and to top it all, unexpected house-guests to entertain
Relieved for sure - the system works and no leaks and all the plants look secure, so successful day.....
More photos tomorrow....

Nice. I bet your glad to see it full after a lot of preparation to get to this stage mate.
I like what you've done with the outflow of the filter and like how it's rippling the surface. I believe the benefits of this outweighs the bad, aslong as your willing to counteract the gas off with more co2.

I know it's early days, but what's the plan from here? Are you going to allow the tank to adjust to being submerged, and run high gas, then scale it back? Or are you looking at getting fish in there as soon as possible? Filter allowing of course.
Thanks - yes, really pleased to have it filled and everything works as intended.
Couple of issues:
1. Made three different lily pipes yesterday, and it's still not quite right. I think it needs to be an inch or two shorter so the flow is still up-and-across, but not so close to the surface. Also needs more flow directed back into the back left-hand corner and also out to the sides - the holes I've drilled for this on the current version aren't right. With the current version, I'm wasting a lot of CO2.
2. The diffuser I'm using isn't making fine enough bubbles - not sure why because I've seen these on other systems work really well. Going to change out the ceramic shaft today and see if that makes any difference.

As for plans, I'm playing the long game with this one . Desperate to get the rest of the planting done - funds allowing - then get everything properly grown-in, transfer my amano's and some cherries from the old tank, but no fish for awhile. Just set-up a breeding tank for my CPD's - if I can get 50 or so from this, they should be ready for the new tank in about 6 weeks which should be about right.

Just read the whole journal whilst eating breakfast.The plumbing looks very well planned out and meticulous.
Love the layout of the tank and will be following this one with interest.
Well done mate:clap:
Cheers
Martin

I think that this is an amazing achievement, lovely layout too, will watch with much interest.

In as far as the diffuser issue, why not install it before the filter, the bubbles will be fully dissolved before re-entry into the tank.

I think that this is an amazing achievement, lovely layout too, will watch with much interest.

In as far as the diffuser issue, why not install it before the filter, the bubbles will be fully dissolved before re-entry into the tank.
Thanks very much. Yes, have thought about putting the diffuser before the filter....would be reasonably simple to do, but always worried about unseen build-up of CO2 inside the filter - I assume you've don't have this issue?

I have found there is defiantly a limit to the amount of C02 you feed into a bio filter before you get a build up, even with purposely designed reactors you normally have a build up if you push them at all.
Fine on small manageable tanks with low bubble counts but when you move up to 8-12 BBS you will be running a high chance of the gas building up in the filter until the pressure gets high enough to purge out in big bubbles.

I have found there is defiantly a limit to the amount of C02 you feed into a bio filter before you get a build up, even with purposely designed reactors you normally have a build up if you push them at all.
Fine on small manageable tanks with low bubble counts but when you move up to 8-12 BBS you will be running a high chance of the gas building up in the filter until the pressure gets high enough to purge out in big bubbles.
Yes, exactly my concern....am running at around 6 BBS at the moment - too much or too little?
You can see the bubble size in the vid - clearly I'm losing most of this at the surface.....

And here's the diffuser I'm using...
UroHZMe.jpg
Disappointed really - I thought I'd get a finer mist....

I had the same problem from the same diffuser it was passing on the o rings rather than through the ceramic tube going to try the old type next I think
Annoying considering the price

ant

Back