• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Cabinet 750h x 300d x 600w

The veneer was expensive but I got it off ebay. It is veneered inside on the top and sides only as you should always veneer both sides. The bottom and centre only have edging on them so no need to veneer bot sides.

It isn't a do aqua, its another DIY creation

Looks really nice SuperColey, just need to hang that picture now.:)

I've got mine finished and installed at last, I'm really happy with the result, especially as my tank was on an ikea unit before and I lived in fear of a collapse.

I made the mistake of going to the DIY shop with her indoors though and she insisted on a 'french lilac' shade of grey :bored: . Luckily it's really subtle and you can't really tell it's not just a normal grey in our dingy living room. I just about managed to get 3 coats on the front and sides and 2 on the back, top and inside out of a £6.99 tin so it was good value! It's a satin finish painted on with a small roller and it looks much better than I was expecting.

I forgot my camera today so I'll post up some pics tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice in this thread (and my uncle's joinery skills). I've now got a lovely cabinet for under £60, happy days!

Here it is................

elmg.jpg

(Ignore the filters, both my filters are getting replaced this week with a single Eheim that will go in the cabinet)

I prefer this design with the to brace hidden inside the door to the normal ADA style one, the only thing is the sawn edge of the MDF visible at the top needs a lot of sanding and painting to get a decent finish, if you inspect mine closely you can see some pits where it isn't quite smooth. Overall though I'm really happy with it!

Cheers

James

Looking good mate! :)

I wish I'd put pipe holes on the back as well, I don't need them now but you never know.

Back