• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

aponogeton crispus is flowering adive on care

Sofia

Seedling
Just come back from a 10 day trip to Warsaw and have discovered that my aponogeton crispus is growing a flower!!

Just wondering what I should do.
At the moment it's growing under some floating plants that my dawrf Gourami has piled in a corner to make a nest.
Should i move the plant to a sunnier side of the tank? What should I do once my plant flowers, does the flower need anything special or shall I just leave it to do what it wants?

Thanks in advance for any help.

As with terrestrial plants, I would usually advise against moving a plant that's flowering. Flowers cost a plant a lot in terms of energy and if it is disturbed it may 'cut it's losses' and end the flowering early to put energy into renewed growth.

As to what to do next either just enjoy the flower, or you could try and get some seeds from it. I can't remember whether A.crispus (or it's hybrids, which are often sold in the aquatic trade as A.crispus) is self-fertile, but you'll lose nothing by trying! When you see the flower open and the yellow pollen just get a paint brush and brush the pollen around in the flower and try and get it onto the stigma, if you can see them.

Well done for getting it to flower!

Thanks eds, I was really surprised it flowered I don't use any root tabs or any other additional fertiliser or CO2 but my plants are doing very well.

My LFS advised me against using root tabs and gave me some liquid CO2 which I used for a couple of weeks but then my fish suddenly started dying for no reason so I stopped using it.

They are doing great now.

Can't wait to see the flower!!

piccies of the flower. It has become detatched today so I guess it's dead now :(

PB160848.jpg

PB130847.jpg

I thought for all apogeneton species you are meant to cut the flowring stalk away to prevent the mother plant from going into a dormant state? If they do flower and formed seeds, the mother plant will wither away isn't it? Correct me anyone?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I thought i'd post my experience with the A. Crispus. I kept both the green and red varieties in my Discus tank and they flowered often. Sometimes the flower stalks just died and rotted, but other times (after manually fertilising them) they would produce a series of smaller plants, I never got any seeds from them, only a long stalk that just kept on producing smaller crispus.

Hope this helps.

Back