• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

http://staff.aist.go.jp/m.taka/nano-bubble.pdf
So to sum up we're guessing it's a nano-bubble generator, if so we're also not absolutely sure what gas those nano-bubbles are composed of...but best guess is probably O2. Have we completely ruled out any part played by O3? Either way - judging by the results in Viktor's tank and others - it can only be a good thing...right...

...But what if we're wrong...what if the Twinstar turns out to be harmful, or a fiendishly cleaver plot orchestrated by a Blofeld-esk type Bond villainous megalomaniac with a penchant for stroking white pussies...perhaps he was traumatised by the planted tank Gestapo as a child and is now hell bent on revenge...perhaps the Twinstar surreptitiously erodes silicon...and the aquariums of the unwary purchases are destined to fall apart like a circus clown's car...:eek:

Hello Chaps,

Further to my last post, manage to get my misses camera working:) FUJI x20, lovely camera but no idea how to use properly:(, but photos are well better than the one taken on my phone.

Here some pics taken before I turn unit on.

UrcWJTZ.jpg
necwpjp.jpg
UuZ5kfT.jpg

Photo showing algae on stones, and if you look carefully you make out algae below substrate and on surface of stones. As you can see not a completely a badly maintained tank but still with a few algae issue

Here a photo after device has been turned on, lovely cloud effect.:)

dJDEiUc.jpg

Water changed and tank was given a once over before turning on. As suggested i going to leaving running for the next week, i also wont carry out my usual mid week maintenance. Let see how we get on.

Cheers

All that money on an optiwhite tank and fancy glassware ruined by a pieces of plastic from china. At least the wavemaker trys to hide

All that money on an optiwhite tank and fancy glassware ruined by a pieces of plastic from china. At least the wavemaker trys to hide

LOL... I was thinking how best i could hide diffuser and cable... i actually don't mind the diffuse so much as the wire.

Regarding the tank, it was purchased off ebay for less than £40 (when i first started this hobby), thou wish spend a bit more as silicon joint aren't great.

Ok another thing to share.

In our first test we used the device in an aquarium where the stones not raise the water hardness (Fossilized wood)

The second test is happening in a Seiryu packed aquarium where almost 40-50kg stones are there.
Earlier i worried that the gas errode the stones. That is not happening on the other stones so maybe the one which has a light white patch now had an issue originally.

But! The calcium stuck in the diffuser plate in patches. Not sure of this will close down the mesh fully, but this is there in small patches.
I had contacted with Twinstar and they mentioned that they already fixed the issue and the new devices will hit Europe around this time.
But the old model has this issue with the mesh plate.

He also sent me a photo from Dave Chow who also reported this issue in the past and i guess the production used his feedback to improve the diffuser plate

1458927_587382951335632_1854940524_n.jpg

And here is the old vs new model

1458760_587385958001998_1431929472_n.jpg

Twinstar also mentioned that the Calcium covered diffusers can be cleaned with a cleaning solution.
So if you face with this issue it's possible to clean. They told me too, that i can leave the unit in our Seiryu scape as it is possible to clean.

On our unit i do not see problems with the diffusion yet, but as it gets clogged maybe you will realize this on the performance.

Anyway it's good to know. Keep in mind guys. The new unit will come to europe shortly.

ps: Twinstar working nicely in our Seiryu scape. I try to share the images next week sometime.
But as i thought depend on your setup (crowded tank, high builds, flow) the unit helps you quicker or slower.

Reactions: tim
Hmm I am not sure if you are serious ?
Basic 12l dive bottle £150...decent one from around £250 - £550, not sure how you would deal with the 3000psi but a dive reg starts around £250.
Personally I would not really fancy a dive bottle in my lounge but if you think that would duplicate a twinstar performance I guess it might appeal to some?
Could I use this Argon & CO2 Disposable Gas Weld Regulator: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools with this Oxy Turbo Oxygen Disposable Gas Cylinder | eBay if yes I have an unstocked tank with some algae and I'll give it a whirl just need a welder to tell me bottle and regs compatible :)

The new unit will come to europe shortly.

Great! :facepalm: should have to listen to Nat and waited... let hope this doesn't happen to my unit, thou i have not notice anything yet, the hardscape consist mainly of Seiryu stones, i haven't notice any fizzing on stones thou. I have to keep my eye on it.

Twinstar also mentioned that the Calcium covered diffusers can be cleaned with a cleaning solution.

Good to heard thou what cleaning solution?

Theres a good chance you could use that 02 can with a disposable co2 reg send them an email and ask what size thread it is. Also remember this is welding oxygen which is purer than medical o2 and much purer than divers air. it is very dangerous in high concentrations
Am I being thick isn't O2 O2 would it be possible to overdose if there was livestock in the tank ?

let hope this doesn't happen to my unit,

if it happen it can be cleaned. Just like you soak your CO2 diffusers in cleaning solutions.

Good to heard thou what cleaning solution?

Will receive it shortly as far as i know. Do not know yet but as i hear back i will share of course.

Am I being thick isn't O2 O2 would it be possible to overdose if there was livestock in the tank ?
If you decide to go ahead with using the o2 please read and understand this http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hse.gov.uk%2Fpubns%2Fhse8.pdf&ei=yXiIUoTfDOyV7Ab68IGgBg&usg=AFQjCNFtcZMgnfAcFkFjymcIu15S2IhXyg I can't stress enough how dangerous o2 is if not handled correctly. I dont want to put you off just make sure you know what you getting yourself into.

Hello all,

Well it’s been a week since I have installed a twinstar nano, time for an update.:)

I am pleased to report that the device seem to have had a positive effect in my tank, whiles the impact isn’t as dramatic as what Viktor reported:cool:, I can honest say that I not had to deal with any new algae this week. Typical I would get a thin build up off green algae by now, which I would need to toothbrush off but this week I’ve not need to do this. The persistent alga that was on my rock that wouldn’t come off despite my best efforts with a toothbrush finally came off this week.
As suggested I‘ve not had the thin build-up of green algae on my tank rocks, or glass which typically needs removing using a razor blade. However I have notice that instead of the algae I’m get what i can only describe as a thin layer of white powder thou this very easily wipe off, I assume this is the algae dying off?:confused:

Before
MpLQr3s.jpg
3SRB9t1.jpg
GF298sb.jpg

After

qtoJH3w.jpg
iVa3QKk.jpg
dRwdBSy.jpg

I have also notice a big improvement on my plants grow rate, look at the bonsai that is just a week worth of growth! Similar my Echinodorus tennellus (incorrectly identified as Echinodorus uruguayensis, apologies), hairgress and single Pogostemon helferi all have shown a significant improvement in growth. The effect on my HC isn’t as significant but I certainly has seen an improvement, and is filling out much better, so much so that I have taken to pressing HC down which I hope will improve density further. Note the bare section in the right isn’t new growth i have just planned some more HC to help fill in. I should note however that I have recently changed to ADA ferts, but in the first week of using these I didn’t notice the same improvement in growth, so it may be a combination of both new ferts and device but I honestly say I never have had this much growth in such a small period.

Another thing that I have noticed which Viktor similarly reported is that the water clarity is much improved, not sure if the photos portrait this very well as my photographic skills aren’t great. I have always used purigen and thought my water clarity was very good, since installing device water is now crystal clear, if it wasn’t for the C02 bubbles I wouldn’t know that there was any water in it.

While I'm sure many of you may still be unconvinced regarding device, but given the result i have had in week alone I happy i bought it, in terms of maintenance it certainly made it easier for me :D. However, we're all after the perfect scape and look so do do think the design of device could be improved, it just stands out to much for me, particularly the white wire.:(

Hello Chaps,

Further to my last post, manage to get my misses camera working:) FUJI x20, lovely camera but no idea how to use properly:(, but photos are well better than the one taken on my phone.

Here some pics taken before I turn unit on.

UrcWJTZ.jpg
necwpjp.jpg
UuZ5kfT.jpg

Photo showing algae on stones, and if you look carefully you make out algae below substrate and on surface of stones. As you can see not a completely a badly maintained tank but still with a few algae issue

Here a photo after device has been turned on, lovely cloud effect.:)

dJDEiUc.jpg

Water changed and tank was given a once over before turning on. As suggested i going to leaving running for the next week, i also wont carry out my usual mid week maintenance. Let see how we get on.

Cheers

wow looking very promising!

Back