• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Exposed substrate - Shrimp tank

steveno

Hello Shrimp keepers...

I noticed nearly all shrimp tank i seen have an area of their substrate exposed, i was just wondering if this was important or just a coincidence? :)

The reason i asked is i have newly set up tank which is nearing the end of cycling period and will be adding some shrimp soon, and was wondering if would be beneficial for shrimp to have a area of exposed substrate.

Cheers

Ease of feeding is the reason for me! I don't feed any of the fancy £200 per gram stuff and just use algae wafers and if these go underneath plants, it's hard for the shrimp to get to them. It's also easier to see your shrimp in a bare area.:)

Viewing and feedind I think. You should remove any uneaten food after a couple hours to avoid spoiling the water.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Appreciate your comments.:), my substrate is complete covered in a cladaopharo carpet, but would have lifted a section if this benifited the shrimp, i dont think i'll have any issue viewing as CRS should contrast with dark green carpet. I not planning to feed to much but when i do it will be off a plate of sort as recommended by a few poeople here.

Cheers

Back