• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noob with an idea or twelve

Guess it's preference and peoples experience mate really!

You can probably do anything you want with whatever size and shape ;)

I've got an 80l x 35d x 45h now and my Optiwhite coming on Friday is 80l x 40d x 40h as my experience with the original size told me i wanted something a little wider but shallower :D

I prefer the long and low FWIW :)

I can fit the length only if the cabinet is the exact same length. There is only access from the front so I'll reduce the cabinet height to help. All pipes will come from the rear of the tank.

Any pro/cons in having/not having ledges around the tank?

I can fit the length only if the cabinet is the exact same length. There is only access from the front so I'll reduce the cabinet height to help. All pipes will come from the rear of the tank.

Any pro/cons in having/not having ledges around the tank?
When you say ledges do you mean bracing? My first 4ft tank was braced and I struggled to get external installation kits over the bracing. Also braceless is more astheticly pleasing even with glass lids fitted. Have you thought about putting your cabinet on wheels like Mark Evans' tank?

Sorry if it didn't come across right. The tank will be braceless.

I meant the tank will be flush to the edges of the cabinet. Just wondered if having some space around tank on the surface of the cabinet might be useful?

Would the wheel work on carpet? Oh and Mark's tank.....another inspiration!

Btw tnx for bearing with me through my ramblings!

Btw tnx for bearing with me through my ramblings!
Were a friendly bunch and there are many very helpful members, but it would be best to place your questions within the various appropriate sub forums as this is really only an introduction thread :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Yeah i am pushing it a bit aren't i?

I'll call time on this one. Thanks for the warm welcome chaps....see you in the forums!

I haven't tested my tap water or tank water for the last 4 years until now (setting up a CRS tank so its a must).

as you get more confident and experienced you will ditch all the test kits and do it just by eye! welcome to the planted side! if you are going to do a proper planted tank, do it once and do it properly. get a decent substrate and a fire extinguisher Co2, don't mess about with inert substrates and DIY co2 as it just causes carnage!

Depth of tank (front to back) makes all the difference for achieving a layered look. I think mark Evans' 120 * 55 * 55 is basically the perfect proportion - though might even go 60 front to back. My tank is 40 cm deep and I really notice it.

Above 120 cm wide it's basically a full time job! Plus incredibly expensive to plant up at the start with enough plant mass to get a flying start.

A good way to save cash is on a cheap substrate.

If you want loads of mistakes and experiments with DIY see my two journals in signature.

If you want loads of mistakes and experiments with DIY see my two journals in signature.
:D

To my untrained eye, height and depth are the key. They are after all the 2nd & 3rd dimensions to what would otherwise be a flat image. Proper use of layers in both these dimensions can make a smaller volume much more interesting. Like multiple planting sets at different stages front to back. And planting at height on wood to introduce layers. I almost certainly want to add emerged planting as well.

Ah but there's a fella in Wrexham who 'invented' these little plastic sheets to stop tank slides ;)

With you on the layering all the way.

Back