• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

Tim, interesting that BBA is your problem and nothing else, presumably it's low or fluctuating Co2 levels ?

I have the same issue as Tim: more or less only bba. The Co2 has been constant for months and is in the high range. Very good flow too. So I am out of possible explanations. I have reduced lighting, upped waterchanges, and attack manually with liquid carbon and I have been seeing reduction in the last few weeks. I remember Clive saying that this is an algae that needs to be evicted from your tank. This is my experience too. Hard work.

Thomas

I have the same issue as Tim: more or less only bba. The Co2 has been constant for months and is in the high range. Very good flow too. So I am out of possible explanations. I have reduced lighting, upped waterchanges, and attack manually with liquid carbon and I have been seeing reduction in the last few weeks. I remember Clive saying that this is an algae that needs to be evicted from your tank. This is my experience too. Hard work.

Thomas

Same problem here. The only way I could stop new tufts of BBA from appearing is to lower my lights so much that plants start suffering. Rotala sp green develope very small leaves (1/4 of their normal size) and Rotala macranda melt away. Increase it enough to grow those plants and BBA appears almost the very next day. I haven't managed to fully evict it.

Same problem here. The only way I could stop new tufts of BBA from appearing is to lower my lights so much that plants start suffering. Rotala sp green develope very small leaves (1/4 of their normal size) and Rotala macranda melt away. Increase it enough to grow those plants and BBA appears almost the very next day. I haven't managed to fully evict it.

A delicate balance indeed. What you read about this algae is much less coherent and sometimes even contradictory than for other types. As long as it stays on rocks and does not attack plants it is, however, reasonably manageable with manual effort. Having found it near impossible to remove it with a toothbrush I recently bought ADA's Propicker, which is extremely effective for manual removal. It is in the attention to these kinds of details that ADA is in a league of its own.

Thomas

Well I must say I am tempted however I think it's a little bit pricey @ £155 for the nano and I would have hoped for something more discreet for that price, hopefully some sort of inline equivalent will be released, one thing I did notice on some pictures on the web it appears to keep pipes and glass clean... Fact or myth? As this might just warrant the money lol

Ok so it looks like some kind of electrolysis...

I was looking at their website (Twinstar) and the trial tanks, quite a few, but I often struggled to see a massive difference. I do like the idea if it is actually good at sterilising against some disease organisms, but I dont really understand it. In a UV system, beneficial bacterial colonies are protected because only what is in the water column is sterilised. Here though it looks like it passes through the whole system so it cant be affective against certain levels of organisms otherwise it would be deadly to an aquarium.

It is helpful that Victor and others are testing this (did I see Greenmachine?), i am still unsure but several people seem sold on it.

How long does it last for?

Any idea on what the electricity consumption is/ wattage rating?

Downside is the cost for large aquariums.

On a slightly different note I just noticed than a quite active Twinstar thread on a very popular American forum has been completely removed!
No idea why but I have sent a pm to the amid to see if they will give an answer.

maybe one fell into the hands of someone who was less than a pro scaper....

Well I must say I am tempted however I think it's a little bit pricey @ £155 for the nano and I would have hoped for something more discreet for that price, hopefully some sort of inline equivalent will be released, one thing I did notice on some pictures on the web it appears to keep pipes and glass clean... Fact or myth? As this might just warrant the money lol
TGM have a deal on at the moment - NANO for £130 :)

Waiting for the bigger jumbo model to come out and I'm in :). Mind you I guess two units distributed one on either side of the tank might be more efficient than one bigger model, although I really need something for 760l, say 600L of water max. Could they not make a more aesthetically pleasing black colour version or have they ?

Ok, so without me trawling through all pages, can someone explain how the device works... As in: does it go on a timer? or is it just a press of a manual button once a day?

Ok, so without me trawling through all pages, can someone explain how the device works... As in: does it go on a timer? or is it just a press of a manual button once a day?

Hello Gary,

Put diffuse inthe corner of your tank, the lower the better. You don't need a timer, just press button on the unit, to correct setting (only two) depends on size of tank and away you go. Easy!

Mode 1 or 2 on the Nano for 125 litre, that's my question!? lol :)

Back