• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First Attempt!

saintly said:
looks great mate.

Cheers bud, It's tenullus I need more of mostly which my lfs has kindly ordered in for me as well as some P helferi too :D
I'm thinking of the back right corner for the P helferi and maybe some little accents around the rocks.

cichlidsrgr8 said:
I'm thinking of the back right corner for the P helferi and maybe some little accents around the rocks.

will look great around the rocks. not sure about the back right corner though. its more forground mid ground plant.the way your rocks are arranged suggest to me at least, that, planting can be sparse on the right. of course you want something grass or e tennelus but nothing that would draw the eye away from the left.

something along the lines of what zig did here...

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... l=0&id=197

That's pretty much how I imagined mine might look eventually except with glosso instead of hc.cuba.
I just hope that my Excell lasts until I can get a new diffuser as I've now broken 2 in 4 days :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Quick update, I've added 5 more pots of E tenellus, 2 pots of Glosso and 2 pots of P helferi that my lfs ordered in for me.
All seems to be going quite well, glosso's spreading nicely and no algae YET :lol: .
Here's the pics:
001-13.jpg

004-11.jpg

005-7.jpg

006-4.jpg

Excuse the cabomba and the other plant, their mainly for algae prevention as I'm not running my C02 yet :rolleyes:

Regards Wayne,

Looks great, thanks for posting!

You're so doing the right thing, keeping it free of animals for now - I got impatient with my last tank and put some shrimps in after only 8 days, and the efficient little buggers make sure to pick up and inspect every grain of aquasoil every day - not much fun when you've got 25 dots of glosso with no real roots stuck in it!. Don't know what to do know, they are gradually dying what with being dug up and replanted every time they broach the surface of the substrate! probably only got two dots left!

Oh well, no sign of any algae at all (three weeks now) so I can't complain too much. Hope fully when the tank is a bit more established, and with more moss etc for them to explore I can try and lay out the meadow again - or maybe I'll grow a big chunk in a tank without and animals in and transfer it intact. I'm sure I'll get there in the end, but I wish I'd had the patience to leave the animals out for the first month - the growth was great till the shrimps got at it. I could have grown it emmerse for the first month, but I think it was doing fine underwater, and with no disturbance hardly any got uprooted.

You lives and learns!

All the best with your tank.

Mark

LondonDragon said:
Looking good Wayne, but that glosso needs CO2 or it will start to suffer soon, you dosing an alrernative?
Keep us posted :)

Thanks LD, I'm dosing Excel at 2-3x the recommended dosage everyday at the moment until my diffusers arrive.

Looking really good. Amazing for a first attempt :D

Myonly constructive criticism is the same as mentioned earlier... the rock on the far right looks out of place. I think removing it completely is the safest bet. Another option could be to bury it a bit so that after the foreground grows in you just see the tip of it sticking out. IMHO that would look pretty good. :D

Quick update, Everything still going strong, cant believe how fast glosso spreads :eek: .
Adding a koralia nano tomorrow to help with flow at the back . I've now been running all 3 39w tubes for a week giving me roughly 4.3wpg (asking for trouble I know ) :rolleyes: but no algae yet :D . Dosing at least 2x EI at the moment.

Anyhoo heres a pic:
002-13.jpg

Regards Wayne,

Thanks Aaron , there's some new shoots that I can trim off and place on the left hand side. I think i'll put some more in front of the largest rock as well.

Regards Wayne,

A quick update on the tank. Things are going reasonably well apart from I had to remove the P helferi due to it literally melting overnight :? OH and I'm starting to become bored with the simplicity of it so I'm now contemplating either ripping it down and starting from new or just starting another tank up :? .
Pics
002-14.jpg

004-12.jpg

005-8.jpg

Opinions and suggestions very welcome.

looks great mate,

cichlidsrgr8 said:
OH and I'm starting to become bored with the simplicity of it so I'm now contemplating either ripping it down and starting from new or just starting another tank up :? .

its done its job, so start again. its how we learn. im discovering this quickly. you cant really take this scape any further IMO. go for it ;)

Back