• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

help! with glossotigma

Ryan Thang To

hi everyone
I decided to try out glosso for the first time and I'm having a bit of a problem
isit me or the plant is not spreading....
i made sure i got the light flow and co2 but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

i have a 3ft tank with 4x 39w t5. at the beginning i use 2 bulbs but i read that glosso need high light so i turn all 4 on still no changes. i have aps 2000 and a fluval 205 plus a hydor 1600 lol tell me that is enough flow right? :)
my flow is like a circle pattern with good co2 pushing down to the substrate.
i use ei ferts and double dose easy carbon to get rid of some bba
co2 come on 2 hour be for light and drop checker is lime green after lights off.
its been nearly 3 weeks since i plant it and since then i trim it once. i also read that if i keep trimming it they will start to spread but after i trim mine its doesn't look so healthy.

i have the light hanging from 22 inch from the substrate is that ok? or should i raise or lower the light?
50% water change every week.
every time i think about it, it get me down because i spent so much money and time in to this. i have all the equipment and bits and bobs so what im i doing wrong?
thanks for reading and if you have any advices that be super great.

cheers ryan

nEm24Kj.jpg

My advice go back to 2 bulbs, Quickly! You need to understand that co2 and flow are a fickle business and more light exacerbates these issues. This is from somebody who has wasted a lot of money on carpeting plants, and from my experience flow and co2 is always the issue not light (with 2 t5s I've found the balance hard). Furthermore looking at your picture the other plants seem to be co2 deficient. Good luck

Your Staurogyne repens looks fine imo, so not sure what's up as glosso is quite an easy plant once it gets going and can take over things ...

What lights and substrate are you using ? If the substrate is Flourite, it's basically inert when you first get it and will get richer in time,but you can boost things with fert tabs...

When you say your ''drop checker is lime green after lights off", I presume it's lime green for most the day, not just peaking late in the day?

Glosso doesn't need high light. It needs ime, very good flow around the substrate. With a decent amount of c02 in that flow. It doesn't need nutrient rich substrate either. Don't trim it yet as you'll have none left! Ime it's always gets to leave plants for a good few week 'to settle' before you trim them. Be patient and I'm sure your glosso will take off.

Yea agree, it takes time to find its feet before it fires. Sure it does not need hugely rich substrate to grow, but from my experience the better your substrate the more compact your carpet and the more it responds to hectic trims.

Was it planted the same time as your stau repens, surely not ?

Your Staurogyne repens looks fine imo, so not sure what's up as glosso is quite an easy plant once it gets going and can take over things ...

What lights and substrate are you using ? If the substrate is Flourite, it's basically inert when you first get it and will get richer in time,but you can boost things with fert tabs...

When you say your ''drop checker is lime green after lights off", I presume it's lime green for most the day, not just peaking late in the day?
I got eco complete fine and using aps 4x 39w
Co2 comes on 1pm lights come on at 3 so by 11pm drop checker is lime green. When j get from work around 7 the drop is green not lime

I'm with tomfish 2x t5, more co2 and review flow. Also trim any dead/dying leaves from all your plants and spot treat bba on the rocks.
Its starting to get somewhere now Ryan stop unpicking your hard work by adding the 3rd and 4th t5s
Ps adjust your timers so the tank lights are on when your in
Thank big clown I never though of turning lights on when I get In.

Yeah the sooner you hit lime green when the lights come on the better,

tell us something more about the ''4x 39w'' so what colour temp ?

The colour temp doesn't really matter, just make sure you hit that glosso with co2, also remember that a drop checker is just another piece of test equipment, so monitor your plants they're a better way of knowing whether you have enough c02.

Ian is right plants don't care about the Kelvins, the K is only for our preference. The drop checker and bubbles per seconds mean nothing if the plants are not getting CO2 delivered to them.

I know folk that have converted from marine to a planted tank and used the same tubes and had problems, the same goes with the Chinese tubes that often come with the plug and play tanks. Just seen a good example of this with another tank I gave advice on, which improved markedly within two weeks of swapping out the tubes to the 6,500K and 8000 range.

Sure, Color temperature is highly subjective, it goes without saying that most of us settle for a mixture of colours for cosmetic reasons and what we feel gives us the best growth, but each to his own.

Yea agree, it takes time to find its feet before it fires. Sure it does not need hugely rich substrate to grow, but from my experience the better your substrate the more compact your carpet and the more it responds to hectic trims.

Was it planted the same time as your stau repens, surely not ?
No the sp was planted months ago

2x 6500k
If I get drop checker from lime green when lights comes on would it get to high at the end of lights goes off?

Not necessarily as your plants will be utilising it, but if it goes yellow that could be a bit much for your fish so keep an eye out on them although many folk choose to run close to yellow. If the fish look as though they getting stressed then of course turn it down and aerate the water until the fish look good again.

You will quickly find a happy medium with your C02 rate and turn on time. Aerating when the lights go off is also recommended.

Back