• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1-2 Grow Storage?

Claire

I'm planning a new nano setup at new year and definitely want to get some ammania bonsai and alternanthera mini from the 1-2 grow range. I have a discount code for warehouse aquatics that expires in a few days and was wondering if I ordered 1-2 grow plants just now if they will keep till I want to plant them? I guess they must sit around on shelves anyways since they're in a nutrient agar to grow, but I don't know what their "shelf-life" is?

Cheers :)

The ammania will keep in the fridge for a fair while, I kept it in mine for a month with no problems. The A mini, is a little more temperamental in the fridge, but will still do a good two weeks.

Both these species will store for a very long time in the fridge the althernathera being the leader of the two, sorry Ian. But there is a but. It depends how long and how your supplier kept them in ;)

I recieved my 1-2 grow today. Lots of plant matter in a small tub. Alternanthera mini is a fab plant. So is Monte Carlo

I'm wanting to do a carpet of either monte carlo or hc, is monte carlo any easier to grow? I know leaf size is slightly larger which would make me lean more towards hc due to the tank size, but if it's easier to grow then I might go for the monte carlo (I've never had much success with hc yet...)

MC is incomparably easier. You will like it. Ian Sutherland managed to grow it dense and low in low tech, magician.

Hi all,
The ammania will keep in the fridge for a fair while, I kept it in mine for a month with no problems. The A mini, is a little more temperamental in the fridge, but will still do a good two weeks.
I've never tried them, but I'd be tempted to go for somewhere cool, but light. Something like a N. facing window, or porch? As long as they don't get too warm, or get any direct sun-light, they should tick over for a long time.

cheers Darrel

Speaking of this, Oliver Knott has mentioned that tissue culture plants can survive for months in their packaging. How does that happen? Are they in some sorta hibernation or something? He also says that these plants are effectively submersed plants, so no melting due to conversion when planted and flooded. Can anyone explain that too?

I think they survive as long as there is some light because they have ample 'feed' in the gel and because they remain sterile so free from disease and 'parasites'.

Not sure what he means r.e. 'effectively submersed' but I would think it may be lost in translation as in that a fully emersed plant can be fully open to the air, something which is often used in Wabi Kusa or many other 'emersed' scenarios where we may take a submersed plant and start it off fully sealed in to keep humidity up then ever week expose it to a little more air before finally removing the cling film totally.

In these pots they are effectively at that 'fully sealed' stage. Not sure about no melting though, would depend on the plant I would think.

Hi all,
I think they survive as long as there is some light because they have ample 'feed' in the gel and because they remain sterile so free from disease and 'parasites'.
That is what I think as well.
He also says that these plants are effectively submersed plants, so no melting due to conversion when planted and flooded.
I think it is because they've been grown under 100% humidity on a semi-liquid medium, so in some ways this is more similar to being under-water, rather than emersed.

It was a long time ago now but I did some work with tissue cultured Roses, and the problem with them was "weaning", where the plants failed to adapt to being removed from the flasks, and this was because they needed a long hardening period at high humidity before they could be potted.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel and Supercoley. I can see how the sealed gel cup could have high humidity and therefore emulating an emersed environment. But what about O2 and CO2 needs? How do the plants last so long without air exchange?

I think I remember seeing a video with (I think) Oliver Knott and he was giving these plants away. He said something like "These plants can last for a month in their packet, so its OK if you came from far away"

recycling their own? i.e. producing O in the light and CO2 in the dark? plus the pots they are in aren't actually 'air tight' are they.. sealed of sorts but we're not talking water or gas tight. If you think about it ice cream/yoghurt in those sort of pots and lids has a full foil seal.

Hi all,
But what about O2 and CO2 needs? How do the plants last so long without air exchange?
recycling their own? i.e. producing O in the light and CO2 in the dark? plus the pots they are in aren't actually 'air tight' are they.. sealed of sorts but we're not talking water or gas tight
I think "SuperColey1" is probably right, and that the containers aren't gas tight. My suspicion would be that you could keep a slow growing tissue culture plant "flasked" for a long time as long as the agar doesn't dry out, and there is sufficient light for the plant to photosynthesize, but not over-heat.

You can buy "flasked" orchids (either from seed or tissue culture) and some of the slower growing ones remain in their flasks for several years.

cheers Darrel

You're both right ..........the 1-2-Grow containers aren't water and gas tight. This is essential to both production and storing.
Mick.

Back