• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar..what is it?

We do run these units like 6 weeks ago aprox. But i can not believe how the hell this could look like this super algae covered like you have above.

The only explanation is that the owner throwed the unit into a heavy BGA infected tank and left there for a while.
We do use now 5 units. 2 in a very low tech environment and 3 in a high tech high light one.

if we keep the regular cleaning cycle which is 2-3 weeks there should not be any algae on the device.
This helps with some BGA like it did with us, but i can imagine if the tank has a loooots of BGA in it then the device will not help on a short term since BGA is quick grower.

Anyway just wanted to inform you that our white units almost algae free. The cleaning needed more for the efficiency

If it is an oxidator, we've been down that route before, and there are much easier ways of ensuring oxygenation. I would still be very, very surprised if these are a long term addition to the hobby.

cheers Darrel

This is a very valid point an precisely why I haven't bought one yet, as I don't want to spend money on something I may already have, I have started to aerate the tank at at lights out since I first heard about this product a week ago by lifting the Lilly pipe enough to make some bubbles, this eliminates the surface scum which is great, water still becomes a little cloudy closer to W/C day.
I am still very interested in the product and I am keen to know if it prevents any algae build up on the glass pipes and tubes as I hate cleaning those things. Any way I will be waiting for a few more reviews until I shell out the cash.

3 in a high tech high light one.

Anyway just wanted to inform you that our white units almost algae free. The cleaning needed more for the efficiency

So you have three units working in one tank Viktor, what size tank is that and are things going well with this multi kit setup ?

I don't understand why they don't make black units, white being very conspicuous in our tanks and will of course attract algae compared to black. Having said this I have never seen a black ceramic Co2 diffuser I guess :). Three of these white units in one tank is going to look a bit over the top, so is the main thing holding me up with my order as surely they will bring black ones out as a priority once this testing phase is over...

As a very noob, noob, I'd like to ask some basic questions if I may? I am reading up on these things but this seemed like a discussion of the possible 'pinnacle' of modern algae defence :)

From tank start up, when/why does algae first appear? There must be something awry, right? (I'm a month in on a non CO2 55l cube with no algae issues and I don't know what the hell I'm doing!!!!)
What were the pre twinstar options for dealing with algae as well as pro/cons if pos?
Why is twinstar preferable/better?

Thanks for enabling a spendy noob!!

Well James, you could say the twinstar is just a gadget to amuse the more advanced scapers who have every thing including years of experience.
Ideal for someone who has mastered most of the more complex aspects revolving around keeping plants in a pristine volume of sparklingly clear water & don't want to disturb their work of art with a toothbrush. ;)
Perhaps the last step towards their goal... until the next interesting gadget appears on the market of course.

Well James, you could say the twinstar is just a gadget to amuse the more advanced scapers who have every thing including years of experience.
Ideal for someone who has mastered most of the more complex aspects revolving around keeping plants in a pristine volume of sparklingly clear water & don't want to disturb their work of art with a toothbrush. ;)
Perhaps the last step towards their goal... until the next interesting gadget appears on the market of course.

Or perhaps somebody, who's not a pro. but knows the basics but hasn't the got time and a little lazy with maintenance...:p

Agree, it makes life a little easier for the advanced scaper, where limits are pushed and perfection reached, so you can spend more time on other finer aspects of the decor, as the count down to the 1/250th of a second click approaches..

Imo, it's not designed for the newbie algae harvester, that spoils the fund and your advancement in the hobby, besides you will then be eating through a volume of replacement diffusers.

Wished they had these thing's when I kept "Sir Thomas".
Sir Thomas was a pet snapping turtle I kept for about a year.He was about forty pound's of pure meanness and grew algae on his back.
He was not at all amused with my effort's at brushing his shell to remove the algae, and one had to keep on their toes when trying to do so lest a finger go the way of girlfriend's cat's ear.
The cat tried to swipe the food offered for the turtle.

In their reptile division I understand Twinstar are developing a terrapin spar bath version, but sounds like Sir Thomas rather requires anger management guidance ..

I've gone through the same terrapin trauma and having to lubricate their shell with olive oil, so can sympathise.

As a very noob, noob, I'd like to ask some basic questions if I may? I am reading up on these things but this seemed like a discussion of the possible 'pinnacle' of modern algae defence :)

From tank start up, when/why does algae first appear? There must be something awry, right? (I'm a month in on a non CO2 55l cube with no algae issues and I don't know what the hell I'm doing!!!!)
What were the pre twinstar options for dealing with algae as well as pro/cons if pos?
Why is twinstar preferable/better?

Thanks for enabling a spendy noob!!

...more a discussion on the pinnacle of modern day marketing than algal control!

The fact that you don't have algae issues means you don't need to spend an extra £150 or whatever to not have algae issues, just celebrate that you don't have algae:thumbup: or reassure yourself and buy a twinstar and then you can solve all your non problems with that. Seriously though, it worries me that beginners will enter the hobby with the notion that along with filter, lighting, etc they need to buy an algae busting prop.

A great way to learn about algae is to follow the journals on here and see what others have done, there's so much info and so much of it conflicts and all is difficult to prove, so in reality you are, with no algae in your tank, as much an expert as anyone else! follow some low tech journals and keep up with whatever you are doing!

There is algae and there is algae, each to his own :). Everyone gets it to some degree, even the top pro competitive scapers get it I can assure you, when you push the boundaries and seek perfection it is difficult to avoid with rocks and cosmetic sand vulnerable areas.. so to make life a little easier I don't see a problem using this kit, but agree it's not designed for the floundering newbie, as mentioned in previous posts.

Devils advocate asks "why is a noob with algae less worthy of this product than a 'pro' with algae?"

Back