• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter co2 burp and floss

MikeJojo

Hi

I'm running APS 1400EF for my Juwel Rio 125 and I got myself inline atomizer on inlet hose. It works fine but from time to time there is burp of co2 and I believe that co2 is wasted as big bubbles run straight up to the surface. I wondered why filters burp. Is it because co2 get trapped right under filter head and when there is a lot of it escapes causing that burp? Maybe that co2 accumulate under one of filter floss sheets and eventually make its way out of the filter? If it is floss, then removing it and placing course foam would fix it, wouldn't it? I believe course foam has no ability to collect co2 under itself. It just let it through it right? Floss media is more dense therefore it maybe does not allow co2 to go through easily.

What are you guys thinking about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking I'm thinking! Get rid of of the floss it must cut your flow rate right down. If you put air in it's got to come out. Try it without the floss first. If these doesn't work and you don't mind the mist and it's the up inline put it on the outlet. I think it's put up with the burping or mist from what I've experienced and read:)

My ecco pro is a no go with inlet co2. gas just builds up until it bursts out- wasteful in the extreme, and that's at a bubble every 3 seconds.

That's shame Darren. Every filter must have different layout inside making it more or less prone to burps.

I removed floss completely and placed ceramic rings on two trays instead of one. Left bio balls on one tray as they were. Still had some burps and wondered why..?

It was simple.. :D

There is some space in filter/ under filter head where co2 accumulates. In my case that is a hole in plastic piece which guides water from intake to uv lamp. That hollow space has no reason to be there for filter to work and it is higher than impeller thing so co2 builds up there.

Solution was simple as well.

I got myself A4 pvc sheet, cut it and super glued it to cover that hole and here we go! No more burping! All co2 goes from intake through filter and then spraybar.

There is one con there only. There is one screw there covered now that holds that plastic bit but it won't be a problem till next filter cleaning.

Hope that helps! :D

Based on my filter the impeller housing looks the most likely place for co2 to be come trapped. I know people discuss degrading of seals etc due to the co2 making them go brittle but is there also not the risk of the impeller running dry until it burps out the bubble?
From what I can make out the impeller keeps itself cool by running in the water. You can tell when you have just dismantled a filter as the impeller stays warm for a bit. I'd be more concerned about the damage to the impeller itself or the housing.

Back