• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help re inline CO2 diffuser please.

harryH

I have been reading the threads on here regarding inline diffusers and how these may affect filter bacteria or cause 'filter burps' etc.
My question is....why are people fitting these to the INLET side of the filter?

I have searched, AquaEssentials, CO2Art and CO2Supermarket sites all selling these inline diffusers and all saying they should be connected to the OUTLET (the return pipe) which of course would mean no filter "contamination" at all.

Can anyone with knowledge please advise me as I am thinking of buying one for my set up.

the co2 will enter the filter, regardless of where the diffuser is situated. mine is in the filter inlet, purely to give the co2 bubbles further to travel before entering the tank, absorption time. Some people worried about the co2 degradation of filter seals.

Cheers Darren, yes I understand that the CO2 from the water column is entering the filter which is fine but if CO2 is diffused directly into the INLET, this is where people are reporting 'airlock' or more accurately in this case 'CO2 lock' causing burps!, concern has been mentioned about the effects on the filter bacteria, albeit Clive has already explained this does not affect adversely.

I am just wondering..are people going against the manufacturers guidelines by hooking up to the INLET instead of the recommended OUTLET and wouldn't it be better to hook up to the OUTLET thus the dissolved CO2 will still eventually pass through the water column and into the filter anyway and give no concerns??

The main reason is to avoid the mist that an inline atomiser produces within the display but, there are defiantly pros and cons with fitting the devices either side of the filter.
Some people don't like to see a mist in their tank, even thought it is thought to be the most effective way for the plants to absorb the Co2.
For those folk, fitting the device before the filter can eliminate or reduce the mist but & it is a big but .. this does not always work!
It would appear to be a very fine line as to if the filter will coupe without building up pockets of C02 that get released in the form of a large bubble.
In other words some filter coupe while others don't depending of the design, the media inside & the amount of Co2 injected.

My ecco pro does not cope with inlet injection

It's what I suspected Foxfish, thanks for the help, I wondered if I was missing something or if there were indeed different types of diffuser.:happy:

Duplicate post;)

Hi Harry,If you want to mess around with an inline diffuser that goes on the inlet for freeeeee! I have one here which I'm not going to use, didn't cost me much as I Purchased it Off a member here. If you pay the postage it's yours? if it's not your thing just pass it on to another member when your done. I'm done with inline for now:)

Back