• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano 40 - Dosing Advice Please.

Don636

Seedling
Hi All.

I have the above tank - a 55 litre Aquanano 40 which presently has a light unit with 3 x 8w Boyu bulbs, glass cover lids below and planted with 2 x bogwood with moss trying its best to grow..also java.fern, anubias x 2, Cryptocoryne x 3, Hygrophila x 2, dwarf hairgrass (recently added) and a moss ball. (Feeding root tabs to rooted plants and whatever the fishes can manage for rest)

My 24 watts (t5 normal output) on the nano gives me in region of 2wpg on the 50 or so (actual litre with substrate and plants etc i guess), into the low/medium light I think.

So far the 55 litre has been running with no liquid carbon, no ferts, some slight bba.. but read about treating with liquid carbon.. Lights are on for 6 hrs only. The plants were holding their own but not growing as such.

Recently replaced original powerhead with eheim 1000 powerhead to the tank in rear chamber to assist with flow round tank due to bogwood and planting, seeing plants moving which is good sign I gather.

With a view to moving to larger tank...and wanting to understand feeding of plants etc.. I started dosing 1ml of easycarbo every day, (having built up with smaller amounts to start with) but (finally)..the question is using Seachem fertiliser what should I be aiming at dosing wise. Twice a week at 1ml ...Twice a week 0.5ml... or every day but lower amounts ...ie..0.2ml or so..??

For info..the plants appear to be growing and filling a little out with my 0.5ml twice a week but crypts getting some brown algae on their leaves.

Am wondering if..

1. 'less but more often' is better than 'more less often' and also
2. the amount over a week of fertilizer required. 1ml ..2 ml ?

Thanks..hopes the question makes sense.

Regards

Which seachem food? Most do not contain. NPK - the macro nutrients

Thanks Darren636

Sorry...Its Seachem Flourish...micro but not Macro it appears..so even with flourish I would have to dose with amounts of NPK in due course?

Regards

Thanks Darren636

Sorry...Its Seachem Flourish...micro but not Macro it appears..so even with flourish I would have to dose with amounts of NPK in due course?

Regards
If you want greenery, you need macros :)

Blimey.. so easy carbo...Seachem Flourish... and NPK

But I dose NPK as the plants need it.judging by what I see right..rather than a weekly dose..?

Regards

I would add a small amount after every water change, or you could add it when you see the need

Thanks..

1ml easy carbo every day..
1ml Seachem Flourish twice weekly,
and NPK small amounts per weekly water change.

Next thing will be EI dosing .. :)

Thanks for your help.

As Tim says, by dosing carbo you are encouraging plant growth, macro becomes essential

Thanks for the replies!

I am already doing 50% water changes weekly plus easycarbo at 1ml per day.. and now flourish 0.2ml per day, plus NPK as you all recommend.

By sounds of it am I just as well going for the £18.00 starter pack for EI that I see advertised, pouches and container bottles..? (That has everything that I need for feeding spread over 6 days and 7th for 50% w/c).

Also I read somewhere that if using liquid carbon like I am, you would retain the same EI strength of solution as per the instruction re advertisers webpage..but dose half the amount daily which in theory gives me really good coverage for the money.. because the liquid carbon is less effective or have I read that all wrong?

If you guys think its a good idea.. I might well go with it, plan is for 4' tank and planted, so EI even in the 55 litre sounds like a learning curve?

Regards.

Back