• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hi all,

It's been a little over 10 weeks now - I think. To be brutally honest my life has been upside down lately so I've kinda lost track!

Anyway, the scape is doing fine. I've had a Twinstar Nano in there for a few weeks now and I think it's been a real blessing I have to say.

I note the comments about this being high maintenance and attention to detail etc. but I can't take much credit.

Since I've installed the Twinstar I've really cut down on the water changes and haven't cleaned the rocks at all. The only algae I've had is on the glass and glassware. Sure, it may be coincedental but I'm 99% sure if I had performed a similar lack of maintenance without this new device you'd be looking at a different 'scape. Previously I was seeing a green algae build-up after just 2 to 3 days on the rocks.

Sorry, I don't know how it works - but I'm sure it does work. Livestock also seems happier than ever - noticeably more active just after the Twinstar has activated.

Oh, and by the way, I am in no way affiliated or being paid by Twinstar or its distributors! I have nothing to gain by making false claims about this product.

Anyway - some pics. :)

_MG_4094.jpg

_MG_4097.jpg

_MG_4108.jpg

_MG_4137.jpg

_MG_4177.jpg

_MG_4181.jpg

Dont worry George, it by no means looks like a neglected scape just yet!

I still remain impressed by how this looks given that you started with a few strands of plants! I love your close up photography of the fish too. Im undecided as to what fish to put in my setup but Cardinals are definitely up there. They look great in yours!

Great colors. Great scape.
With your opinion on Twinstar we now have at least two strong and credible people talking about such a product (Viktor Lantos also). It should really be a blessing to be able to able to get down on maintenance sometimes.

Pedro.

That's a damn fine tight carpet there mate! Looks the business. Time to move on to the next one?

Yes mate - and thanks. :)

I think it's safe to say the challenge has been completed. In the new year I'll be setting up something less minimal - new wood, crypts, Anubias and ferns I reckon - planted heavily from the outset!

Looking forward to it already, and sharing it on here, of course. :)

another Farmer classic, executed brilliantly.
How often are you trimming the MC, i find the leaves get quite big after maybe 4 weeks post trim, do you think this is determined by the quantity of light or were the pictures taken in that sweet spot post trim?
Also would you be so kind as to give some detail on lens and settings for the close up shots.... something i love but suck at!
cheers george :thumbup:

That "misty" look of the twinstar working makes is look like a paludarium :)
How often does Twinstar works?

Pedro.
Hi Pedro. It comes on for 20 seconds or so every 20 mins or so. I haven't timed it though so can't be sure.

another Farmer classic, executed brilliantly.
How often are you trimming the MC, i find the leaves get quite big after maybe 4 weeks post trim, do you think this is determined by the quantity of light or were the pictures taken in that sweet spot post trim?
Also would you be so kind as to give some detail on lens and settings for the close up shots.... something i love but suck at!
cheers george :thumbup:
Hiya mate. Can you believe I've not trimmed the MC yet! Only the odd bit starting to creep up over the smaller stones. I've pushed the foreground planting down with my fingers in places to keep it looking neat. I think Tropica call this technique "mechanical retardation". It seems to work great - promotes compact growth and less maintenance. :)

The leaves are a lot smaller than I assumed. Do you have 1-2-Grow or is it cuttings from someone else?

I think Dan had two varieties of Micranthemum in his 80cm shallow. One had bigger leaves. Mine are only marginally bigger than HC and the leaves are more robust than I remember.

I guess there's so many variables, it could be down to any component or combination of light, CO2, water chemistry and nutrients. Or it could be yet another species adding to the confusion!

Regarding macro photos; I use a Canon 100mm macro lens. Aperture is usually f/4 to f/5.6. This throws the background out of focus (bokeh) but there's enough depth of field to keep most of the subject in focus. Shutter speed is around 1/200, which means I can shoot handheld without camera shake. ISO is 1600 to 3200.

Excellent as always! Just curious, have you measured the PAR on your new lights? What about the old one? Do you raise the output for photos or is it always at that intensity? Thanks.

Excellent as always! Just curious, have you measured the PAR on your new lights? What about the old one? Do you raise the output for photos or is it always at that intensity? Thanks.
Thanks. :)

I haven't measured PAR yet. I usually borrow a meter but it's not been available.

I've set the light to ramp up for 1 hour, then at 30% for most colour channels for 6 hours, then ramp down for 1 hour.

It's similar intensity (to my eye and camera) to the TMC tiles I was using, but I have this unit closer to the tank to maximise efficiency and reduce light spill (the colours look a bit "disco").

I haven't increased from 30% yet for photo but may do for the final shoot.

Hi Pedro. It comes on for 20 seconds or so every 20 mins or so. I haven't timed it though so can't be sure.

Hiya mate. Can you believe I've not trimmed the MC yet! Only the odd bit starting to creep up over the smaller stones. I've pushed the foreground planting down with my fingers in places to keep it looking neat. I think Tropica call this technique "mechanical retardation". It seems to work great - promotes compact growth and less maintenance. :)

I've read about that technique (i think for Hydrocotyle Tripartita can also be used) but it makes me think about if the plant doesn't go to the same shape as before in time (hours) and with the water flow. When say "planting down with my fingers" you actually bury some of them or just makes more compact?

Pedro.

Can you believe I've not trimmed the MC yet!
no i cant, seems totally different from mine which was also tropica 12grow?? mine only maintains small leaves for around 4-6 weeks then they reach... maybe glosso size?
The size of your leaves look more in keeping with the real Elantine that Viktor posted images of a while back.. every chance of a different species i guess as this plants seems to be all over the place.

Regarding macro photos; I use a Canon 100mm macro lens. Aperture is usually f/4 to f/5.6. This throws the background out of focus (bokeh) but there's enough depth of field to keep most of the subject in focus. Shutter speed is around 1/200, which means I can shoot handheld without camera shake. ISO is 1600 to 3200.
thanks for the info george, been looking at getting a macro lens for a while and the canon 100mm 2.8 does seem come out best by price, its always nice to see images prior to purchase of course.
Turn the light up to 100% and youll be shooting at iso 100... most of the video i made was as such. Just dont look directly at the lights as it will burn your retinas and youll see little disco lights for 3 or 4 hours after :cool: certainly no need for additional lighting for final shots anymore.

I've set the light to ramp up for 1 hour, then at 30% for most colour channels for 6 hours, then ramp down for 1 hour.
oooh, maybe i should be more careful as im peaking at 60% now to stop co2 build up and was thinking of increasing to 70.. been tossing up buying a PAR metre for 12 months now, should just get on with it.
Would love to know what it comes out at if you manage to borrow one.

Happy new year fella :thumbup:

no i cant, seems totally different from mine which was also tropica 12grow?? mine only maintains small leaves for around 4-6 weeks then they reach... maybe glosso size?
The size of your leaves look more in keeping with the real Elantine that Viktor posted images of a while back.. every chance of a different species i guess as this plants seems to be all over the place.

thanks for the info george, been looking at getting a macro lens for a while and the canon 100mm 2.8 does seem come out best by price, its always nice to see images prior to purchase of course.
Turn the light up to 100% and youll be shooting at iso 100... most of the video i made was as such. Just dont look directly at the lights as it will burn your retinas and youll see little disco lights for 3 or 4 hours after :cool: certainly no need for additional lighting for final shots anymore.

oooh, maybe i should be more careful as im peaking at 60% now to stop co2 build up and was thinking of increasing to 70.. been tossing up buying a PAR metre for 12 months now, should just get on with it.
Would love to know what it comes out at if you manage to borrow one.

Happy new year fella :thumbup:

Ian im on the verge of buying an apogee par meter you could borrow once I pay and get it unless you can point me to any in the uk for sale which ive not been able to find

Back