• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cleaning of filter

harryH

Hi all,

Since coming back to the hobby and finding UKAPS (godsend) I realise more and more just how things have moved on.

I am very much one of the 'old school' and come from an era where slow water flow, not too many nutrients as that would feed algae and dirty filters were the norm with minimum cleaning to protect bacteria. I haven't a clue how I ever used to grow plants really but I do realise, since finding UKAPS, just where all my algae problems came from!. Let's just say you're never too old to learn.;)

So, feeling like a complete novice I ask the questions:- How soon after set up do you guys clean your filters and how often??
Is there a section on here with guidance on how often to clean the filter??

My set up 80 ltrs with Eheim Ecco 200 and a Koralia 900 Nano and will be very lightly stocked with fauna. I would normally leave the filter a good 2 to 3 months to colonise before cleaning but not sure whether that applies any more? Any help/advice appreciated:thumbup:

Harry

...I'm steering towards minimal filter maintenance...every couple of months, I've gone 100% biological (expanded clay pellets) with nothing that will block flow like filter floss. As its over a year and a half since set up I think this suits where the aquarium is at filtration wise. When it comes to cleaning just a quick rinse through using aquarium water to flush away the mulmy stuff, no physical disturbance though.

...I'm steering towards minimal filter maintenance...every couple of months, I've gone 100% biological (expanded clay pellets) with nothing that will block flow like filter floss. As its over a year and a half since set up I think this suits where the aquarium is at filtration wise. When it comes to cleaning just a quick rinse through using aquarium water to flush away the mulmy stuff, no physical disturbance though.

Thanks for reply,
so do you have a foam on the filter inlet?
I have Eheim filter medium which I suspect is just expanded clay balls in 2 trays and foam in the 3rd and final tray. I have made a couple of filter pad discs to sit on top of the medium and my plan is to do away with these eventually and use a purigen pad instead.

so do you have a foam on the filter inlet?
...no nothing, doesn't seem to warrant them, I have 2 externals a rena xp3 and a eheim 2026, no big pollutors in the tank so not much floating waste, water stays crystal clear, and filters don't clog up so not concerned

Back