• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How long will 2kg last?

fz1ben

Hello people

I know it's like asking how long is a piece of string but if I give you a bit of tank info could you estimate a rough time a 2 kg fe will last.

My tank
125l
Hard water( May mix 50/50 ro)
I'll be switching co2 off at night
48w of lights
Hoping to plant heavily
I'll aim to keep around 30 ppm

If anyone could give me a rough idea or has a similar set up it would be great, just trying to work some costs out before I bite the bullet

Cheers

Nice one cheers for that, I need to try and find a good place local for refills and get a price. I might see if I can get hold of a 5kg that will fit into my cabinet

My last bottle lasted 4 mths, the current bottle is getting light after 2 but I've been tinkering alot.:) A very lot. But I was inline on the first bottle using an up inline. I'm now using an instant diffuser. So it can depend on many things. If buoyant it to to last reduce light Hrs also do yourregulatorup properly:(

D p sorry.

Out of the 7 2kg FE's I have used on my 180l tank they have varied between over 200 days to 23 days, depending on size of leak!!!

Last couple, when all leaks, failing one way valves, failing bubble counters have been replaced, all joints sealed with lsx thread sealer, have lasted 80-90 days. That is with a verging on yellow drop checker as well.

My 2kg FE lasts 16 weeks on my 125 litres 2-3 bps (jbl bubble counter) on 5 hours per day

Sent from my mobile telecommunications device

Cheers guys that's a big help, just trying to get my head around it all

I've only got 58cm height in the cabinet, so I'll have to go with a 2kg. I've looked on eBay found them for £20 but there's no dimensions , guess I'll have to email them and hope there shorter

The 2kg I have here from the bottom to top of the handle is 510 mm

I've looked on eBay found them for £20
At work, local library, local shop etc make a note of any phone numbers on their CO2 extinguishers and give them a call. That's what I did.

First number I tried..."oh we only deal with businesses"...but 2nd number I tried, found out their local adviser lives down the road where I work and I get 2Kg FE's off him £10 a go.

Lee, based on that maths, your diffusion rate is very poor! You have the same size tank as me. 2 KG lasts me about 4 months. That is with a constant co2 concentration of 35 PPM (the upper limit before fish start struggling). Co2 is run for 11 hours daily. This is with a UP inline atomizer.
Are you using an in- tank diffuser? Do you have an surface agitation?

11 hours a day !! Wow that's a lot and it still lasts you this long. ?
As above ^^^^ mine lasted 15-16 weeks on my 125 liter , was on for 6hrs a day for 10 weeks then dropped to 5 hrs a day .
Cheers

I have a glass lid , good surface agitation and inline atomiser - ph drop of at least 1 full unit .

You don't want any surface agitation- you are wasting co2! Surface agitation drives co2 out of the water

I've read different theories on surface agitation ,
I believe the fish and also the plants benefit from the increased oxygen levels but you do have to inject more co2 . But the in tank environment is healthier .

That is one theory, however I don't subscribe to it.

Yes, in the wild you will always have surface agitation.

This is not the wild. This is a controlled, contained, man- made environment.

The plants pump out loads of oxygen during the day, meaning the oxygen level in the tank is way more than in a non- planted tank. In a hi- tech co2 tank, the oxygen produced by the plants is more than enough, without additional oxygen from surface agitation.

That is my theory, and obviously this is all a matter of opinion. I guess we would have to measure oxygen to have more accurate information. Would be an interesting experiment...

Back