• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbies nano (progression)

MrMacey

Seedling
Hello all! This is a journal to show my journey as I have dove deeper into the world of fish keeping and then eventually into the world of keeping plants. (I still have a long way to go!)

So I first set up the 35 litre tank back in June using purely plastic plants and equipment that I had from when it was set up years ago when I was a nipper!

e7amasut.jpg

The tank cycled without fish for a few weeks or so before adding my first additions of neon tetra.

2e8y9uhy.jpg

A couple of weeks down the line after the everything was a tad more established I decided it was time to add my last fish which was also going to act as a centre piece fish, a honey gourami.

So a month passed and the fish were doing great with everything settled in but me being me, I wasn't happy with all the fakery. So I hopped down to the local fish shop and purchased some live aquatic plants.

3equ4yny.jpg

I soon realised from asking and researching on various forums that I had actually purchased two aquatic plants and one plant that wasn't aquatic at all!

ganepe7e.jpg

I quickly acted on this and took the plant out before it started rotting away in my tank causing different issues. However, this left me with a tank that was more bare than when I even started the hobby. Instead of taking the slow approach and doing more research, I went ahead and bought a 'bundle' of different plant bunches which to my relief were all aquatic.

tuhyby3u.jpg

But as you will most probably agree, it didn't look very appealing to the eye! Well anyway, I stuck with it and a few weeks passed but my plants were doing...erm terrible. As time passed, I was losing more and more leaves as plants wilted away right in front of me leaving me with little to work with. This time instead of rushing out getting more plants I decided to put a little effort into what I was going to create and how I was going to keep it maintained so little by little I started accumulating different things such as ferts, lighting upgrade alongside the addition of co2 in the form of liquid and gas, improved filtration/flow, etc.

7ybyryve.jpg

umutute2.jpg

Things started improving and I was getting fairly good growth (any growth compared to what I had before was good in my eyes!). This meant it was time to finally scape the tank into the jungle theme that I was after which is where I am at today, waiting for it all to 'grow-in'.

ny6yvyjy.jpg

5a2ana5u.jpg

adytydyj.jpg

I hope you like the tank and I apologise for the poor quality pictures taken from my phone also right before the tank is due a little clean!

Any comments, suggestions and questions will be greatly appreciated!

Very nice mate. Looks a million times better with growing plants.

Thanks buddy! It's no where near the quality of some of the tanks you guys on here produce though but I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Hopefully Tim, should look better once the background starts bushing out after a few trims

Patience MrMacey,Patience :)

Cheers
Martin

That is one thing I do need to work on...patience haha! Everything seems to be still going well with even one of the hygro's reaching the surface! My crypt is melting though but I assume this is because it's only just been moved? Thanks,

Just a little update on my first planted tank. Things have been a little up and down with me trying combat brown algae, crypts melting but still some considerable growth. Here is a couple of pictures of the tank currently.

ury5y6yq.jpg

a7emega3.jpg

I had only recently noticed that I was actually using an incorrect fert for my intentions (high tech) so I went and picked up some Neutro + which hopefully could bring everything to life.

As ever, any comments on the tank are welcome :)

Back