• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

High pitch whine on TMC LED tiles

greenink

Hello

I have three TMC Grobeam 1500 tiles controlled with the 8-way controller.

When I dim at anything below 100% these emit a high pitch whine that drives me nuts. Not loud loud, but definitely there and noticeable. Much louder than an Eheim filter, for example.

Is there something wrong with my tiles? (Seems unlikely as happens with all three of them!) Or does everyone else just put up with this.

I'm definitely not alone in this:
TMC AquaRay GroBeam 1500 Ultima LED Tile Review | Tropical Fish Site

Thanks!

dave i understand the claims made by seachem that trace elements etc are not removed by purgen

it seems to my inexperienced mind that if plants utilise ammonium or nitrite nitrate and we have a chemical resin that removes those then the two processes seem competive to me

prehaps i am misunderstanding something?

prehasp the plants are more efficent at fixing nitrogen ?

andrew

Mine is a 1000ND and I don't have the 8 way controller, just the two.

I have no noise whatsoever (as you know)

The noise is normal. Absolutely insanely subconsciously annoying.
If ever your feeling irritated, it's because that noise is driving you round the bend. :lol:
I was tempted to send mine back for a refund.

Is your model the 1500 aswell then, I'm guessing its not 1000 like mine?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

Is your model the 1500 aswell then, I'm guessing its not 1000 like mine?

I've had both models, the 1000ND seemed fine. But the 1500 was the one that drove me mad.

I could hear mine whilst watching tv. :rage:

Thanks you've put me off buying any:D shouldnt be driving people mad for the money they cost :eek:

Thanks you've put me off buying any:D shouldnt be driving people mad for the money they cost :eek:

So far the 1000nd is a God send due to its ability to increase and decrease light intensity. I can't defend the 1500 and its whining but I can defend the silent 1000

I had the same problem with my 1500HD. I spoke to TMC who can swap the component out that makes the noise. They did it for me free of charge and now it is perfect, no noise what so ever!!! They also upgraded the cover so the light spreads better!

Apparently all new lights that are produced have this fix already so its just luck whether you get a new one or an old one!

There workshop is going to be flat out now:D

So it should be!

Agreed!! However they were very good about it. I was very annoyed that a £150 item i had brought to have on 6 hours a day whilst i was at home worked in a way that meant i wouldn't have it on at all!

I believe the component is a resistor that is used when the light is not on 100%. It took them a couple of days to do it, but you will have to post it to them. I was fortunate enough that i drive past TMC to get to my office so i was able, after a bit of badgering, to pop it in.

Does anyone know where and which capacitor to replace or remove? I purchased a couple from someone 2nd hand and I was hoping to DIY this myself.

I decided to remove the 2 caps myself. and the noise is now gone! I just hate that buzzing sound. It reminds me of the old days when florescence lights became popular and most of them buzz once they get a little older. I am glad this problem is no longer that common.

Back