• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

over priced fish...

I know one well known retailer that have a 5x rule, they must sell at 5x the cost price for livestock. This is why you see pencil fish for £15-20 and cardinals for £2.75.

Agree with min numbers but you can bet half the idiots out there would then massively overstock or worse flush the extra 3 they didn't want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not so certain a higher price does exclude bad people from the hobby. Cars are a good example of this. Some of the most care less down right dangerous drivers I have encountered in my neck of the woods have been in high prices cars. Money does not necessarily equal sense.

And cost of CPDs locally does not make much sense either now they are farmed much easier. Just my two cents.

Some pencilfish and corys are wild caught, I think that will be the case with the fish in question here. Personally I like the idea of farm reared fish and always check that that is the case before I buy.

I want to create an interpretation of nature, without coveting it directly, that's way too Victorian. The prices are cheaper this way and the skill then is using foods, water quality, etc to get the best from the fish. I know that some fish stocks are seasonal and would die in mudbaths in the dry season anyway, etc. But overall the pressure is definitely on wild populations, hence the rarity, hence the price.

Back