• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Upping the light isn't going to help

Going back to the brown algae / diatoms conversation above, the reason I upped my lighting originally was because of a comment made here...

Brown Diatom Algae

It says brown algae does well in low light.

Following everyones advice above I have now ramped it back down to 74%, but this article is a little conflicting? If Brown Algae does well in low light, why wouldnt I want to up the lighting and increase water changes?

good question...I was wondering the same...I am struggling with brown algae too at the moment and I tried to put some shrimp (amano and cherry) in the tank but, believe it or not, they got attacked by cardinal tetra's which where half the size of the shrimp, they ripped them apart by pulling from all sides at the same time like looking at pyrana's

good question...I was wondering the same...I am struggling with brown algae too at the moment and I tried to put some shrimp (amano and cherry) in the tank but, believe it or not, they got attacked by cardinal tetra's which where half the size of the shrimp, they ripped them apart by pulling from all sides at the same time like looking at pyrana's

Really!! When did you introduce the fish in relation to the shrimp?

I'm sure many other people here have mixed cardinals with shrimp.....slightly worrying to hear that!

That's the weird thing with fish and shrimp mixes. Some fish which are considered safe can get a taste for it. They also do this to each other. I have seen some fish which are relatively peaceful take a disliking to another type of fish and pester it non stop. Just shows that fish are individuals as well.

Something must have happened in the fish history that is connecting it to either a threat or food source. Can't get a leather couch on your tank though :)

I would guess it's also feeding frenzy. We put red flakes and pellets in the tank so the fish will just dart for what's available. If one gets it's chops round something and gets nutrition from it I would say from then on in it sees it as fair game. As you say though if the shrimp were there first the fish, when just put in will form a defense mechanism for survival and associate that with keeping out the way. Vice versa the fish would see them as a food worth trying if they are already comfortable in their surroundings.

Going back to the brown algae / diatoms conversation above, the reason I upped my lighting originally was because of a comment made here...

Brown Diatom Algae

It says brown algae does well in low light.

Following everyones advice above I have now ramped it back down to 74%, but this article is a little conflicting? If Brown Algae does well in low light, why wouldnt I want to up the lighting and increase water changes?

All algaes thrive off of highlight...ammonia + high light = alage! whether that be GSA, gda, or diatoms. In new set ups sometimes diatoms are inevitable. There are various theories out there, some say it's salicelates in the water, as your filter is maturing. Diatoms can also disappear as quick as the arrived. Increasing light levels would be the last thing someone should do when they have an algae outbreak.
You have to be very careful what you read on the net, and it's always best to ask advice before messing with a planted tank, as you have done.

There's quite a few articles (from decent sources) on the net to suggest high light will make diatoms grow quicker. Upping the light will also leave you wide open for different kinds of algae also.

This algae guide is the one most of us started off with, it's the alage bible

James' Planted Tank Web Page

Reactions: tim
Anyone know if Seiryu Stone constantly excreting white rock dust is normal? I seem to constantly have to brush it off!

Scape is now 3 weeks - Brown algae continuing, also getting very very small amounts of 2cm black slimey hair type algae on some of the hairgrass. HC not looking quite as healthy as time goes on. Some leaves dying off and getting a little covering in brown algae.

Overall not entirely worrying yet though. Hoping it's just because it's a new setup and with a bit of luck the shrimp (which are going in tomorrow) will tidy up.

Photos to come when shrimp are in

Hey Richard, nice looking set up. I'd advise not to trim any plants for a minimum of 2 weeks, sometimes 3 or more. The plants need this time to use there energy to put roots down and convert to immersed life. Trimming will only slow all that process down.
If the HC grows vertically then so be it for now, mechanical retardation can be applied( push it flat every so often with your hand) to encourage horizontal growth. Once you see roots,runners and growth you can trim.
Moving forward don't be tricked by dc's and bubble counters, if you have no growth on the hairgrass, HC still goes vertical then you need more gas. Listen to your plants, they will tell you everything.... Learning their language is the hard bit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd advise not to trim any plants for a minimum of 2 weeks, sometimes 3 or more.

Really, I've never heard that suggested before, I always thought people kept plants trimmed to 1-2cm to encourage sideway growth over height.

Unfortunately I did a big trim just hours before getting this post!

I'll stop trimming and see how it goes.

Drop checker is still looking very green mate :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

This could be why your HC is growing up. If its not getting the carbon it needs when the lights come on.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

This is what worries me about the CO2 and my new £60.00 of stock that I could easily kill... Mine is generally the middle one when lights go on and the second last one before lights off. Ive upped the CO2 again tonight a little, its over 3bps now and the fish seem ok. The colour is verging yellowish. Its getting it lime green for lights on which has been more difficult.
LjCr0uU.jpg

Jesus that was close! I put my CO2 up very slightly earlier on, the plants responded nicely....but after the lights went out the indicator turned yellow (because its reaction is delayed by 1-2 hours I believe??) and I had two fish laying lifeless on the substrate, Ive done an emergency water change and they're both back up swimming with the shoal! I think Im going to have to carry on with the levels of CO2 that I had and just assume that my camera is showing the indicator to be darker than it actually is.

I have altered the CO2 to come on slightly earlier aswell so hopefully it will be lime green when lights come on. Dont think I can risk higher levels though based on tonights events.

Back