• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UK mosses/temperate rain forest

Reuben

Hi,

Just thought some folk here might like a few photos from where I live. There are areas of 'Atlantic oak rainforest'. These ancient woodlands get regular rainfall and have a very diverse population of mosses and Lichens.

I'm no expert on these things (so don't ask!) but there's some plants that grow in the burns which flow through these woodlands that look very similar to some we use. These woods are pretty 'pristine' Generally no grazing livestock beyond the odd red deer, and very seldom visited/meddled with by humans.
BK0zjd8.jpg

The trees have lots of epiphytes
VRVMeky.jpg

Typical woodland burn
KyLIxZH.jpg

Mosses, these form dense carpets on the forest floor, sometimes you come across huge mounds of sphagnum moss
KAjz55K.jpg

Thanks

Brilliant photos good for aquascape ideas. Like the one with the stream waterfall effect running through,suppose you could replicate the idea with moss,wood,sand and hairgrasses.

Brilliant, it would be well worth buying the BBS field guide to mosses & liverworts: . Have you ever run into Prasad from Trehnish Farm? I've corresponded with him in the past, but I've not heard from him for a while.

Book looks good! Haven't met him, but have heard about him.

Thanks all,
Encouraged by peoples enthusiasm here are a few more;

the lichens enlarge after rainfall and look quite impressive
wVuZ1Tz.jpg
NDCFLSa.jpg
Typical oak wood habitat
sxV5uvm.jpg
This is about 30cm across
tIxkWA3.jpg
This is a huge boulder, about 11ft high above ground
tcmiEcu.jpg
2t5z8pC.jpg
This species grows in abundance higher up in the trees along the branches, sometime forming a dense coating
GOOnBPI.jpg

Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....AWESOME!.... I really love this, thanks for sharing.

I heard somewhere that northern China, does have similar woodland to this:) , but I think it was in the context of the fact they are deforesting it:(

Back