• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Hypothetical CO2/O2 level question

MikeG747

Hi All,

If you are running an airpump through an airstone into a tank is it possible to ever get CO2 levels so high that they are toxic to livestock?
If I understand things correctly then the airpump will saturate the water column with O2 meaning that the livestock couldn't asphyxiate, thereby making it impossible to actually have a CO2 level that is toxic. Or is there some competition between O2 and CO2 in the water column that means they both cannot be at extremely high levels? I know that O2 will more readily dissolve into water than CO2.

I also know that high CO2 levels will create high levels of carbonic acid which will drop the tank pH, but is that an issue?

I am not thinking of carrying out such an experiment, but if what I understand is correct then surely by running an airstone then you will never 'gas' your livestock.

Any explanations on whether my assumptions are correct or not gladly received.

Mike

If your o2 bubbles head straight to the surface without being absorbed - the direct effect will be negligable

. Benefit will be gained by any surface agitation / water movement the pump/ bubbles create.

problem isn't fish getting the oxygen, it's the fact that the CO2 they respire cannot diffuse from the gills when the concentration of CO2 is too high in the water, so the CO2 stays in the fish which can lead to acidosis of the blood. So increasing oxygen is not a safety net other than the bubbling and surface agitation may gas off some CO2 from the water.

problem isn't fish getting the oxygen, it's the fact that the CO2 they respire cannot diffuse from the gills when the concentration of CO2 is too high in the water, so the CO2 stays in the fish which can lead to acidosis of the blood. So increasing oxygen is not a safety net other than the bubbling and surface agitation may gas off some CO2 from the water.
Ah, ok that makes a great deal of sense
Thanks
Mike

Back