• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi layouts - please offer your input/advice

I couldn't sleep... And so we have another 'scape... Thoughts? Or should I just stick with #7?

ehe7y4am.jpg

Hi,
I think 10 is an improvement, the substrate helps create more interest and depth. Also there is more space around the rocks for planting.
The only issue you may have is the valley which seems shadowed by the large rock which may limit both circulation and light and consequently plant choice......you may need to think about how to get good distribution through there.
Cheerio,
Ady.

I think I might prefer 7 because the stones are bit more angled, thus creating some "flow". In general I would probably slope the substrate even more, i.e. having a thinner layer at the front pane, to create more depth. I think...placing stones can become manic.

The greatness of UKAPS = talking to people who don't think you are insane when you stay up at night to arrange stones in glasscube :).

The greatness of UKAPS = talking to people who don't think you are insane when you stay up at night to arrange stones in glasscube :).

My girlfriend didn't see the appeal in aquascaping at all when I was hardscaping mine, I even showed her photos of professional scapes and she still wasn't bothered....

I set up my tank, planted it and added shrimp and now suddenly she is taking interest....I even caught her googling Cherry shrimp the other day!

Everyone loves aquariums, they just don't know it yet!

Everyone loves aquariums, they just don't know it yet!

My wife would have to dig REALLY deep before she came to that conclusion.

The only thing that has seriously caught her interest was when I came home with 120£ from selling some of my Cardinal shrimp offspring :). That was until she realized that I had spent it the day after on...you guessed it, PLANTS. Ha!

Thomas

Hi,
I think 10 is an improvement, the substrate helps create more interest and depth. Also there is more space around the rocks for planting.
The only issue you may have is the valley which seems shadowed by the large rock which may limit both circulation and light and consequently plant choice......you may need to think about how to get good distribution through there.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady - thanks for both your comments so far - you've given me some good input.

I read your above comment earlier and since I got home I've been looking at the rocks and it appears as if the shadow is more a product of the light positioning combined with the photo. The rock stands up so there isn't a shadow in the valley - however the water flow concerns are something to consider.

I also think that your comments on #10 are applicable to #7 too in terms of light/ shadow and flow.

Need to give this some more thought.

That's the beauty of this Iwagumi business, in the best tradition of the Japanese Zen garden you could play for days, it's all about the journey. Take your time, it's all good...

Thanks to all for your input so far... Couldn't sleep so been playing again with some ideas, this is the best of the lot, but it just seems, um, very blah.

ebu9esad.jpg

Back