• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lilaeopsis

hudsonpd

Hi all,

I have consistently had some difficulty with this plant. Is it easyish to grow?

It seems to do quite well when I leave it in the pot, sending out runners etc. However, the leaves are very thin and shorter than usual. They tend to look quite 'straggly' - certainly not like it is in the shop when bought or in the books.

When planted, they don't do much at all. Only occasionally sending out runners

The tank has good flow with a spray bar across the back. CO2 injection looks good with DC green from lights on. Photoperiod is 7 hours a day, using LED lights, set at 23% intensity due to the fact I have four Grobeams. No algae to speak of although I get occasionaly BBA probably as a result of doing water changes before lights out some times.

Dosing my own ferts in liquid form, using EI method. Substrate is fairly basic and 3 years old.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

Move your drop checker to substrate level, see what's going on down there

My Lilaeopsis NZ sat and did virtually nothing for about 6 months after I planted it. It was only after this settling in period that it started growing, albeit still slowly. (low tech tank here)

On a side note it is really easy to propagate it a on a windowsill and grows quickly in this situation. Just waterlog the soil, and cover it over so it's nice and humid. It will grow quickly, then you can pull whole strands of it out, rinse the roots of mud and it can be moved to underwater setup without losing any leaf blades.

Ash

Thanks for the tip!

Do you dose frets or have high light?

Strange how mine doesn't do much despite these!

Paul

Lilaeopsis is defenitely easy to grow. Likes a somewhat rich and porous substrate, though, and basic is not ideal. Slightly acidic is better. It's one of those plants, that really do not appreciate very high light intensity.
Mick.

Back