• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Tom, I'm sure you have mentioned this before but as I'm sure you are well aware, this journal has become pretty long :) what is the plant growing emersed on the right side of the 'bucket' ?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I would update more often but not much changes once a layout gets to a certain age.

Its nice to see a quality aquascape being left up rather than rapidly torn down once completed. I can understand getting twitchy as there are so many possibilities. But the patience involved in allowing a low tech tank to mature seems more fulfilling and natural. As the tanks move comparitivly slowly, you can develop a contemplative mindset towards its outcome, thoroughly thinking through any alterations or issues that may occur. I believe even the big A is a fan of the slow growth look.

A master piece for sure! Love the ripples from the water reflecting onto the walls of the house. I really like the densely planted tank which supports the diverse life in your tank! Lovely Peacock Goby, I nearly grabbed a pair the other day but my Apistos would have likely murdered them so will save the purchase to a later date ;)

This tank is my all time favourite, thanks for sharing this journal. I show the videos to my wife to demonstrate what my tank could one day become!

I'm sorry if you have answered this before but what temperature do you run this tank at?

Nothing more I can say on this mate. Still is my all time fave. Love it. True piece of nature.
Kind of regret taking both mine down now

You could always put it back up :p

I have no doubt the monster will end up being amazing, just needs some ageing.

Tom, I'm sure you have mentioned this before but as I'm sure you are well aware, this journal has become pretty long :) what is the plant growing emersed on the right side of the 'bucket' ?

On the right hand side is a Syngonium rayii (kindly donated by Mike Edwardes on here) and one of those generic waxy looking ferns you always find in garden centers which I'm afraid I don't know the name of.

Its nice to see a quality aquascape being left up rather than rapidly torn down once completed. I can understand getting twitchy as there are so many possibilities. But the patience involved in allowing a low tech tank to mature seems more fulfilling and natural. As the tanks move comparitivly slowly, you can develop a contemplative mindset towards its outcome, thoroughly thinking through any alterations or issues that may occur. I believe even the big A is a fan of the slow growth look.

Yeah I do occasionally get the urge to rescape, but have only succumbed twice (well, 2 rescapes and one major plant shuffle) in 4 years. I do like the chaotic nature of this sort of tank... a few months ago I was thinking the near corner of the big mound on the left could use some sort of added interest or texture but did nothing about it, now there's a lovely looking Bolbitis plant there that I didn't even know was in the tank as I thought I'd sold all of it 2 years ago. Just popped up out of nowhere and has found itself in a prime spot with good flow and lighting and is looking far happier than when I was trying to grow it myself.

A master piece for sure! Love the ripples from the water reflecting onto the walls of the house. I really like the densely planted tank which supports the diverse life in your tank! Lovely Peacock Goby, I nearly grabbed a pair the other day but my Apistos would have likely murdered them so will save the purchase to a later date ;)

Yeah the big peacock gudgeon is a very personable fish (and totally fearless). I actually have 4 in the tank but almost never see the other 3 - he's definitely the boss.

This tank is my all time favourite, thanks for sharing this journal. I show the videos to my wife to demonstrate what my tank could one day become!

I'm sorry if you have answered this before but what temperature do you run this tank at?

Thanks Ash. Tank runs about 22 degrees.

It was the syngonium I was on about. Its a stunning plant.

This journal has been a truly inspirational read :)

I imagine Tom, you and a handful of others will be responsible for many others giving this kind of tank a go.

Totally blown away by it all. Well done :)

Tom, i think i had never posted on this thread but this one is an historical aquarium on UKAPS.
You latest video show us very healthy plants and magnificent fish.
A really matured aquarium that can show really what one can achieve on creating a "small" ecosystem.

Thanks you for that :thumbup:

Before i have to read through the whole 32 pages again, can you give a quick recap of how the tank is nowadays, maintenance wise, do you fertilize it, how is your feeding (fish) regime, filtering etc etc
+1

super lush slice of nature, can imagine you could watch the comings and goings of the inhabitants for hours! definitely a fave

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, I do appreciate it.

Before i have to read through the whole 32 pages again, can you give a quick recap of how the tank is nowadays, maintenance wise, do you fertilize it, how is your feeding (fish) regime, filtering etc etc

Erm yeah it's really straight forward... lights on about 10-12 hours a day, I clean the glass of a little green spot algae (the only visible algae in the whole tank) about once every 2-3 months. Feed the fish once or twice a day on a mix of dried foods in winter and live food from the pond in summer, change about 10% of the water weekly. I add a very small amount of TNC premixed ferts every month or so (500ml has lasted me about 3 years, just ran out this week!). I almost never trim anything except for very occasionally the Hydrocotyle, and I do sometimes gather up the stray Monoselerium tenerum otherwise it ends up taking over the carpet.

Back