• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stones Left in the garden..

KrishP

In the back of my garden, I found some mini landscape rocks from one of my old scapes. I gave them a wash and a clean and I was wondering if they can still be used again in an aquarium with shrimp.

May be worth boiling them beforehand, dependent on what type of stone it is of course :)

People collect rocks from outside all the time to use in tanks, so i dont see why not :) But yeah like crumbs said it'd be worth boiling them to get rid of anything harmful that may have inhabited/grown on it :) May be worth doing the vinegar test too :)

May be worth boiling them beforehand, dependent on what type of stone it is of course

People collect rocks from outside all the time to use in tanks, so i dont see why not But yeah like crumbs said it'd be worth boiling them to get rid of anything harmful that may have inhabited/grown on it May be worth doing the vinegar test too

Thanks for the suggestion, would you just put the rocks in a bucket with boiling water?
Also what is the vinegar test? That's a new one to me!

Forgot to say the rocks are Seiryu Stones

Hi all,
I gave them a wash and a clean
You just need to rinse them in water, any detergents, bleach etc you add to them are going to be much more damaging than anything they've collected in the garden. If you want to boil them that is fine, but it isn't really necessary.
Also what is the vinegar test? That's a new one to me!
When you add acid (acetic acid in vinegar) to a carbonate rock CO2 is evolved. I think Seiryu stone is a hard limestone (calcium carbonate), so if you have a good scrape at the surface (to produce some rock dust) and add vinegar you should see some little bubbles appear. Unless you want to keep black-water fish in very soft water, this isn't really relevant.

cheers Darrel

I seem to alway's have some stones or wood sitting outdoor's on patio and when needed,,I grab a few up ,give em a rinse under hose,and plop em in my tank.
Believe this is very good way to see how many critter's like snail's,shrimp's,oto's,pleco's one might actually have for they all seem to flock to these newly placed rock's, wood,and start noming on them with great vigor.
Some of these critter's, otherwise stay well hidden in my tank's and I seldom see them.

I am just being cautious because I want to have CRS in the tank, and I don't want anything killing them off quickly.

Be careful with boiling stones/rocks. They can explode/split/crack. Especially if they were to have an air pocket in the middle of them. Personally i would give them a good scrub with a scouring pad with just plain hot water, not too hot that you cant put your hands in but hot enough for it to be uncomfortable.

That's a good point, I going to give them a wash tomorrow and start to arrange them in the tank latter

That's a good point, I going to give them a wash tomorrow and start to arrange them in the tank latter
sounds good, I'm waiting to see these stones in situe:) cheers Kirk.

Water and a scrubbing brush should be all you need. If you want to check they are still shrimp-safe after that, put them in a bucket of water with some daphnia or cyclops for a few days. If they have picked up anything that will kill shrimps it's almost certain to kill daphnia too.

Hi all,
If you want to check they are still shrimp-safe after that, put them in a bucket of water with some daphnia or cyclops for a few days. If they have picked up anything that will kill shrimps it's almost certain to kill daphnia too.
Good point,didn't think of that although this "Daphnia bioassay" is the technique I use for testing rain-water.

It is suitable to test for a wide range of potential toxins:
"The use of a Daphnia magna bioassay for rapid screening of acute intoxications with insecticides in dogs and cats.": <The use of a Daphnia magna bioassay for rapid... [Vet Res Commun. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI> & "Evaluation of water treatment sludges toxicity using the Daphnia bioassay":< Evaluation of water treatment sludges toxicity using the Daphnia bioassay >.

cheers Darrel

Back