• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help with my fish stock

ivydree

Hi!

My future tank is maturing at the moment (nitrogen cycle on it's way)

I'm just thinking about what to put in it and can't decide just now...

All I know is that I'll put a apistogramma of some sort (Agassizi most probably) So it'll be one male and 2-3 females as I have a Rio 125, this should be fine.

Then, maybe 5-6 Ottos, I'm still doubtfull about Corries as my tank will be heavily planted and i'm scared of what they are able to do to my setup.

Then, Schooling fish, and here, I'm lost, can't decide. I want something small and colourfull, and, obviously, from south america... :)

I've seen so many, but can't decide.... What would you go for?

Please help me!

I really like the dwarf pencilfish Nannostomus Marginatus, mine tend to go around in a group.

Nannostomus Marginatus

Nice one! Like the red ones from my research on google. 2 inches is the adult size, is that correct?
I would have loved womething smaller though.

Nice one! Like the red ones from my research on google. 2 inches is the adult size, is that correct?
I would have loved womething smaller though.
ember Tetra, cardinals are sorely under appreciated. Corydoras pygmaeus ( sand substrate is a must)

Don't really like ember tetras, already had them and cardnals as well. I actually found that they didn't school that much either...

The more i look at Nannostomus Marginatus the more I like it....
I think we're onto a winner here....

Unless someone's got something else...

Sorry to do this to you , but how about

Nannostomus mortenthaleri?

They are rare, expensive and beautiful

Well, I'm trying to stay there as much as possible.
Plants will be south american (except a few anubias maybe) and fishes will be as well I guess.
Unless, as I said, I really fall in love with anther species that really as something special.

Nannostomus mortenthaleri

Yessssss!!! I've seen them, they are just stunning.

Unfortunately, I'm not ready to sell a kidney to get a schoal of those.... I'll have to check at LFS if they have some and how much they cost...

what about green neons, a little bit similar to cardinals, but they are small and I found they shoal better than cardinals when in a large'ish group.

Edit: I just remembered have you seen marbled hatchetfish? They usually stay near the top of the tank where they shoal.
P.s. you would need to have a tank cover, there good jumpers! :lol:

I've never seen one in a shop, but online £8 + per fish. they also require seriously soft water

I'll have to check my dictionnary tonight. Anyhow if my spelling is wrong, please forgive me... :) I'll have a look at green tetras, not really fond of Hatchetfish...

Threadfin rainbow's look nice albeit from wrong continent.

I'm scared that adding fishes from asia will look odd if everything else is from South America.
And I want my apisto to be the star! :p

Something cheap, just in case your Apisto's go homicidal mental if/when they spawn....

Something cheap, just in case your Apisto's go homicidal mental if/when they spawn....
Well said! I actually thought about that already... :)
I'll see how expensive fish that I like are and we'll see from there.

saw some Nannostomus mortenthaler in a store today, they looked stunning, saw how much they were be and ran a mile! I went with cardinals and ember tetras, a variety of shrimp and corydoras black schultzei, i was tempted by neon green rasbora, albeit they are the wrong continent for you.

Hey!

i'm orientating towards Nannostomus Marginatus. Just need to see if my LFS got some... Fingers crossed.

First thing I'll had though will be ottos I think. is it a good idea or is it too fragile?

++

Back