• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Disaster Strikes! - Advice Needed

Mike_81

Hey Guys,

I started my first planted tank back in March last year. I've learned a lot since then and the tank was just starting to look good, had the algae beat and the plants were doing great.

Was looking like this.

nicVrkk.jpg

Then disaster struck. I've been away on holiday and got a call from a friend who was checking in on the flat, with some bad news.

It turns out that the day after we left the tank sprung a leak. He arrived to find the carpet soaked and all the livestock deceased.
It was an old tank and it looks as though the silicone split away from the glass down the front right side.

He took on the grim task of clearing everything out and making sure everything was powered off.

I'm guessing the filter and heater will be toast if they were running for any amount of time dry so it's going to be pricey to start again.

I'm not sure I've really got the heart or funds at the moment but was wondering about options for a replacement tank.

The original was 76cm X 30cm X 36cm. I could get away with 10-15cm more width but it can't be any deeper or taller.

What options would you recommend for a replacement?

I don't need a stand/base or hood so it's just the bare tank.

Thanks,

Thanks Lee, will check out ND aquatics. Quite fancy one customised to the space.

I've also just discovered that it may be possible to revive the filter. Turns out that JBL sell pretty much every possible component for their filters as spare parts. May just buy the pump head to get it up and running again.

Thanks Lee, will check out ND aquatics. Quite fancy one customised to the space.

I've also just discovered that it may be possible to revive the filter. Turns out that JBL sell pretty much every possible component for their filters as spare parts. May just buy the pump head to get it up and running again.

Yea JBL are pretty good. It will probs save you some cash if you just buy the pump head. Hope you get it all sorted soon mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if a pump runs dry for too long I'm guessing the copper coil will overheat and melt some of the insulation, creating a short. I don't know how far you can tear it down but I'd start looking there.
If it wasn't a very powerful one it might actually be fine...

Hi Mike,
So sorry to hear about your disaster, it really can be soul destroying and expensive. Hope you have the heart to continue.

Please don't think me too 'clever clogs' but you say it's your first planted tank. Are you also a newby?

The picture appears to show your tank is sitting with the glass right on top of the cabinet and without a membrane in between. IF this is the case it is a very risky strategy as, although the glass may not break, your cabinet is never exactly true and the weight of the tank may cause a twist in the structure leading to the very 'split' you refer to in your silicone.

As I say I'm just trying to be helpful and apologise if I'm telling you how to 'suck eggs'.:thumbup:

Harry.

Splitting silicone indicates that the tank was sitting on something not flat. The tank has twisted tearing the silicone.I know of many cases where people have just placed their tank on their old chest of drawers/side board and many months later tank splits at the two diagonal opposite corners. Seen it with both old and new tanks. Easily fixed (unlike furniture and live stock), replace the torn silicone seals and place tank on flat surface, namely a proper tank stand Is a good start, though sheet of plywood on top of furniture maybe OK.

Also you will need say a 3mm polystyrene sheet under the tank to protect the glass from surface imperfections. My mate broke his tank like this, grain of gravel trapped under the tank cracked the bottom sheet. Luckily leaked only slowly and was fixed by siliconing another piece of glass across the cracked bit and placing tank on a surface with polystyrene sheet underneath.

I'm also dirty to hear this. My worst fear of owning a tank it to have it blow Or leak when I'm out. Is the tank totally finished or could you strip and reseal?

Thanks for the feedback all.

This was my first planted tank but I've been into aquariums for years. The picture is a little deceptive but the tank was sitting on a 5mm foam base mat and not directly on the cabinet surface.

It was a pretty old tank which had been sat unused for a few years. I resurrected it last year but I don't think the silicone was in the best state and must have perished slightly.

I'm taking a guess here but I suspect that temperature fluctuations in the house as a result of the central heating being on sparingly while we were away may have been a factor.

Given the above I didn't think the tank was worth repairing so I've chucked it.

Have also confirmed the filter is toast. Set it up in the kitchen sink and it's completely dead. Closer inspection of the filter media shows what looks like a burn mark in the foam just below the impeller.

Looks like you were pretty close Arne.

It's a JBL CristalProfi e901, I'm not sure how serviceable the head is but it might be possible to replace the motor/impeller. A replacement head is £50 though so I might just replace the whole thing.

Amazingly, despite melting the plastic bracket it was held in, the heater still works although I don't think I'd trust it again.

Kirk - It was pretty soul destroying to be told it had happened but I'm pleased in a way that I wasn't the one to discover it. By the time I got home most of the mess had been cleared up. Just got to build myself up to starting all over again now.

Imagine all the great things you can do with a new tank! The possibilities are endless (depending on your budget ;) )
It's sad to see something you've lived with for years be destroyed, but every ending is also a beginning :)

Thanks Arne, kinda looking forward to making a fresh start with it.

Checked out the insurance Ruke. Unfortunately I'm not covered for accidental damage so can't make a claim that way.

Hard luck Mike, you should have taken the Rio when I offered it to you ;)

Get in touch with JBL and say the filter is no longer working I am sure they will do something about it, worked for me in the past even on a second hand filter with no receipt.

Like I mentioned to you today an ADA 60P would be nice for that space ;) or you can have my old Rekord 600 if you like, gives me an excuse to get something else lol

Thanks Paulo.

I've dropped JBL an email so fingers crossed they'll be generous and offer me some sort of replacement. ;)

I'm thinking an ADA 60P is the front runner at the moment. Thanks for the offer of the Rekord 600. Unfortunately it's a little large for the space. As you say, the 60P is a perfect fit.

So, I've finally heard back from JBL. They seem to have called me out on the filter.

Sounds like they don't believe my "it just broke" story. They want me to send it back for inspection. If found to be faulty they'll replace it free of charge. Unfortunately they'll likely find it blew up from running dry for too long.

Think I'll opt for plan B and order a new pump head from their spares list.

Next on the list is the tank.

Back