• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

HC issues

lowee

Although my hemianthus callitrichoides is growing well and still looking pretty healthy, some of the leaves are starting to look a bit unhealthy! Im dosing E.I. and i've also upped my CO2 (drop checker already showing 30ppm). Anyone else have any ideas as to what it might be?

DSC01145.jpg

Thanks
Tom

Tank is 28 litres
2x11W Arc pods
Dosing 6ml Potassium Nitrate 3x week
3.5ml Potassium Phospahate 3x week
1ml Tropica PN+ 3x Week
50% water change per week

no need for the TPN+, you just need trace (CSM + B) you coul;d use the normal TPN (not the plus version) or just buy some traace which is a lot cheaper. This level of dosing also seems a bit low to me, maybe more like 2ml, 3x a week.

how is CO2 diffused in the water?
How much filtration/ turnover? any powerheads?

Yeh the TPN is just from the last tank, so just finishing it off. And in all honesty, I probably dose moe like 2ml anyway, I do it very roughly.

CO2 is diffused through a ceramic diffuser.
Got an Eden 501 filter, circulation arounnd the tank seems pretty good, CO2 bubbles are constantly flowing through the HC. No Powerheads.

Cheers
Tom

hc grows like a weed in my setups. ive even got a clump of it floating in my big tank, and its doubled in size just floating. its got emersed and submersed growth in the same clump

lowee said:
Dosing 6ml Potassium Nitrate 3x week
3.5ml Potassium Phospahate 3x week
Hi,
These data are meaningless unless we know exactly how the solution was prepared (you could easily have made an error in the preparation). How are the other plants affected? Are algae present or is it just chlorosis? Pale new leaves could be due to a trace shortage. Pale old leaves are typically associated with Nitrogen shortage. You need to describe in very specific details what damage is occurring otherwise the photos can be misinterpreted. It appears for example that the tips of some leaves are withered. Is that a correct assessment or is that just a discoloration? Tip/edge withering on old leaves can be typically K shortage. If this is on new leaves this could be Cu shortage.

Cheers,

I made them from the guides on this forum, water/chemical solutions. Can't remember exact numbers but it was something I had read a couple of times. There is no algae present, there is quite a few leaves that are a yellow colour but there is also the withering of the tips as you see in the photos. I would say it is the withering of the tips that is the problem as it is evident on other plants in the tank. So looks like a K shortage, should I just up my EI dosing?

Thanks
Tom

Just double your dosage and take a reading after 3 weeks. Why go buy yet another thing? Use what you have.

Cheers,

Back