• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 diffusion in a large tank

Victor

Hello, guys! I'm still having problems with brown algae. So, I had and idea about the possible issue that i'm committing. I reckon my CO2 diffusion isn't good. My tank is large and long. The Co2 diffuser is at left side of the tank. Just look at the picture below:
qy1R4g4.jpg

Both drop checkers at left side are green (2,72 dKH and 5,78 dKH). But I still think the CO2 is poorly distributed. What do you think about? Should I put more two CO2 diffusers (one at right side and another at the middle)? Please, feel free to give me your opinions and advices.
Thank you.

Attachments

• qy1R4g4.jpg
    qy1R4g4.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 301
Add as many diffusers as you need to, but the best solution in a large tank is to use an in-line device, or to simply port the gas directly into the intake tube.

Cheers,

Add as many diffusers as you need to, but the best solution in a large tank is to use an in-line device, or to simply port the gas directly into the intake tube.

Cheers,
Thank you, Ceg. I can't do an in-line device because my intakes are blocked by sponges. Do you think if I put more 2 diffusers, one at the middle and another at right side, I'll solve the problem?

Yeah, that's really odd. It looks like there is a filter intake just to the left of the far right powerhead, so I assumed that was the intake to an external filter.

In any case, a couple more diffusers certainly will help, but I cannot guarantee that it solve all the problems. It's definitely a step in the right direction if you have no other options.

Cheers,

I cant quite work out how your system works?
You seem to have three internal power heads powering your long spray bar but how do you filter the tank?
Yes, there are two eheim canisters filters (700 L/h each) whose spraybar are green.

Looks like there are two externals. There is an intake where Clive has advised and there is another hidden behind the rocks. Then there are two green spraybars in each corner. The one in the middle seems to be powered solely by the powerheads to improve flow I guess.
That's it! You're right :)

Yeah, that's really odd. It looks like there is a filter intake just to the left of the far right powerhead, so I assumed that was the intake to an external filter.

In any case, a couple more diffusers certainly will help, but I cannot guarantee that it solve all the problems. It's definitely a step in the right direction if you have no other options.

Cheers,
Alright, I'll put more two diffusers and to see what happens ;)

No, simpler is better in this case. That will work, or if you're too lazy to do that then just put the in-tank diffuser under the filter intake tube and allow the tub to draw the gas in with the water.

Cheers,

Thank you, Ceg. I can't do an in-line device because my intakes are blocked by sponges. Do you think if I put more 2 diffusers, one at the middle and another at right side, I'll solve the problem?

Hi Victor, are you sure you understood the answer? The in-line attaches to the out hose from your filter and adds the CO2 in a fine mist into the tank. Better than the option you have just shown as you'll get better CO2 levels and distribution than the larger bubbles pumped into your filter. When I tried adding CO2 into my filter all I got was noise and co2 (air)locks.

Hi Victor, are you sure you understood the answer? The in-line attaches to the out hose from your filter and adds the CO2 in a fine mist into the tank. Better than the option you have just shown as you'll get better CO2 levels and distribution than the larger bubbles pumped into your filter. When I tried adding CO2 into my filter all I got was noise and co2 (air)locks.
But I have 2 external filters and 3 power heads whose flow of each one don't interfere one another (it's like 5 different spraybar because the brown spraybar is blocked internaly in two points). I reckon the best solution is to put more two diffusers. Do you agree?

I have to agree with Ceg's first post. If you have external filters you are best to use the in line diffusers. They give a much better distribution in a large tank. My 260 is not far off yours in volume and I had a lots of issues using the in-tank diffusers, no matter what I tried with spray bars and power heads - I'm not says it's impossible but the in-lines worked best for me.

New I have to agree with Ceg's first post. If you have external filters you are best to use the in line diffusers. They give a much better distribution in a large tank. My 260 is not far off yours in volume and I had a lots of issues using the in-tank diffusers, no matter what I tried with spray bars and power heads - I'm not says it's impossible but the in-lines worked best for me.
It's a lot complicated for me. I don't know how to divide the CO2 hose in 5 parts for the spraybars :nailbiting:

Good morning, guys!

I decided to put more two diffuser into the tank (one in the middle and another one in the right side). I'll put them next to powerheads input. I'll use the same kinf of CO2 diffuser that I already have. It's a Taifun Pro Flora. Look here how it works: .
I think that using 3 of these reactors (I'll do 20 cm tall each one) I'll salve more CO2. What do you think about? Thank you.

Hi there,

Just a few questions:

How long each day they are on?
Whats the tank temperature?

Thanks

Back