• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Upgrading to LED

tam

Hi,

I'd like a little advice on lighting. I've an AquaOne 510 (75l 54cm deep) which comes with two 11w PL lights. I was wondering about swapping to LED and looking at the GroBeam 600?

Do you think this would make a difference, and would I need one or two?

I don't want super high light levels, I'm not using CO2 but at the moment not much other than java fern does well.

Thanks
Tam

How are you running your tank Tam? If your plants are not growing well the last thing you want to do is upgrade your lighting. You say you are not running CO2, are you still adding ferts and what is your lighting period? What are the symptoms of the plants that are not doing well?

Hey Tam, I actually just bought the GroBeam 600 and it is extremely bright. Experts here recommended that I'll need to focus a lot more on my ferts and CO2 since the plants will be using it like crazy with such high lighting. Our tanks are about the same size so I definitely would only recommend one of these lights. Although if you're not looking for very high lighting levels I would work on the other factors to improve your plant growth.

Thanks, I set it up with a bag of JBL aquabasis, with fine gravel over the top. That was two and a bit years ago though so I doubt there is any nutrients left. I use EasyLife Profito and I used their easy carbo for awhile when I first set it up. I've slacked off recently but even at the start I got the impression the plants are stretching for the light a bit. For example I've got some crypt wendtii and in my tank it will grow 12" tall, half of which is stalk. Tried Hygrophila difformis which keeled over pretty quick but whilst it was there it grew with long stalk sections between each leaf.

I don't know how good the present lighting is, is it okay if I get the ferts right or not really good enough either way?

Oh, the lights are on 9hrs a day :)

Back