• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank & Cabinet

Aeropars

Hi All,

I've had a Juwel Rio 180 for years and I've recently moved house and it simply doesnt fit in with all the furnature which i now have. Ideally I'd like to slightly downsize, especially as I am now on a water meter.

I'd like something simplistic which is pretty neutral and will fit in to most environments. I dont have a budget in mind but I cant really go over 500 pounds. I have everything I need bar lighting.

Am I being realistic? Can anyone give me some ideas of what I could buy and where from?

Custom all the way. I've had an 80x40x40 rimless/braceless optiwhite built. £140. Well on with building a DIY cabinet from MDF that can be any colour you want. £80 approx. Leaves you plenty of budget for a nice controllable LED lighting rig ;)

u0No6uU.png

:)

Attachments

• u0No6uU.png
    u0No6uU.png
    791 KB · Views: 533
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

That looks very good. Where did you get the tank from? I'd ideally like an Optiwhite tank.

Where did you find the design for the cabinet? I'm not sure I have the tools to be able to get a cabinet built to a good enough quality.

ND Aquatics did the tank, there was pallet delivery charge on top of that (+£40 or so) but really pleased with it for the money. My Roma 125 is 80l x 35d x 45h and I wanted a bit more depth and little less height so the 80x40x40 is perfect for me, it's about 130 litres.

I'm afraid the cabinet plans were nothing spectacular...

cabinetplans_zpsb6501163.jpg

Bit of messing around with a pen and calculator did the job :) B&Q and/or local joiner do most of it. Tools... a drill, screws, polyfiller, sand paper/sander and time + lifting/holding help is all that's needed :)

Attachments

• cabinetplans_zpsb6501163.jpg
    cabinetplans_zpsb6501163.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 92
This thread has been very useful...

DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Don't know what primer/undercoat I'm going to use yet as i kind of worry about things when i get there and not before lol.

My cabinet top sits on top of the sides, and these then sit on the bottom piece. The back slots inside the frame so it's supported both ends and back. I'm going to have an extra piece cut to slot in the middle inside supporting the middle section of the cabinet/tank but haven't sorted that out yet. I'm sure it will be strong enough with that in place. You could always build from 25mm mdf rather than 18mm but the doors would weigh a ton lol.

Back