• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hygrophila pinnatifida

Piotr Kaleta

Hi guys. I was wondering how you grow Hygrophila Pinnatifida. I tried to grow it but whatever I do it always dies on me. I live in London and was wondering if it is becouse of very hard water we have here. Any input appreciated

Hi. I live in Cumbria (very soft water) and it always dies on me too. However, after some CO2 and flow issues, I've upped them both, so I might waste another few quid on some. Sorry I can't help
D

Thanks. I've heard that if you get submerged plant then it is easy to addapt to any tank parameters but emersed plants whitch is what we can buy in LFS are verry difficult :arghh:

Yes You right . I bought some cuttings from ebay hoping that they will be submerge plant cuttings but they look like emersed grow to me. Time will tell if I'm lucky enough this time around ;)

I have 2 stems of this which I attached to small stones (glued). They have been in the tank just over 3 weeks and while slow, they are putting out a lot of roots along the stems which seem to reach down and attach to stones similar to anubias. A nice plant with a distinctive leaf and in my moderate lighting looks a bronze green.:thumbup:

Pinna like well managed low tech or very well managed high tech. Anything but great co2 and it will tell you before most other plants by way of holes in leaves and dropping leaves. I'm now having a little success with it after 4 tries but nothing like this from Oliver knott!! Unreal.

ybypuja4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the look of this plant. As an absolute beginner I somehow managed to keep it for several months before I temporarily ran out of CO2 and it got covered in BBA.

For my second try, it sent out loads of runners and spread quickly. However, it then just started losing all it's leaves until I just had to throw it away. Bolbitis is much easier!

P

Pinna like well managed low tech or very well managed high tech. Anything but great co2 and it will tell you before most other plants by way of holes in leaves and dropping leaves. I'm now having a little success with it after 4 tries but nothing like this from Oliver knott!! Unreal.

ybypuja4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean Ian. But isn't it just a superb plant when grown like that.
It just makes one want to keep on striving to achieve success, I suppose it's the yardstick that makes us all want to strive and it spurs us on:lol:

My latest attempt at growing pinnatifida low tech reveals a couple if things. Plants dumped nearly all their old leaves within a couple of days of being submersed. The stems that are shaded the most have started to send out small submersed leaves.

5449.jpg

Sorry for poor picture but thought I'd just add this.
I bought this stem of Ebay 5 weeks ago from submersed plant NO ROOTS at all. I glued it to a small rock with a couple of drops of Superglue gel.
The roots are now prolific, I have just moved it from the rear of my tank to the side ( a week ago) and the roots are already reaching into the substrate as fast as any common stem plant would.

There may indeed be something in it that emersed grown plants are more difficult than submersed.

nbcm.jpg

This is the same plant after I moved it.
Harry

Attachments

• 5449.jpg
    5449.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 248
  • nbcm.jpg
    nbcm.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 395
My Pinna is alive:woot:. I thought that it all melted away but like daren636 said Pinna dumped almost all the leaves and for weeks was doing nothing. Yesterday I
I have a closer look and I found some new leaves emergein from substrate. I'm very happy with that. I will let it grow and will post some pics soon:D

That's looking better than mine so far

Hi Darren,
It's such a lovely plant. Well worth persevering with. It is definitely looking as though immersed plants will take time to establish, even to the point of going backwards before they start to show.

I actually received two stems when I bought mine. One is about 8" tall and the other squat 3.5".
Once the plants are really established I plan to trim the top off the tall one close to a node and replant that which should grow on exactly as the originals. The interesting bit for me will be to see how the bottom half behaves and if it will just send out shoots same as other stem plants and what appearance it will have.

Harry

Back