• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soda Stream CO2

harryH

I am using Soda Stream CO2 in my new tank (80 ltrs). I went for this system as it was easy just to pop into my local store and exchange for a new refilled Cylinder. I bought 2 full cyls from Amazon for £18 so that I never run out, always having a spare to put on until I have time to pop round to my local store to get the empty replaced.
Trying to find a place locally who could refill a larger canister or fire extinguisher proved difficult. I have it running at 4 bps with the Soda Stream and it's in it's 3rd week and going strong!

Anyway to those who have this system, check out Argos. The exchange refills are being offered at just £7-99.
To those thinking of using Soda stream, you will need to buy an adaptor to make this cylinder compatible with a normal regulator. I got mine from CO2Art. Soda Stream is not the cheapest way but very successful when used on the smaller aquarium.
Harry.

I'm in my second week of sodastreaming my 40 litre. Have yet to get a refil, how does it work? You get a replacement immediately or have to wait?

Your replacement is a straight swap so should be no waiting. If you Google Soda Stream you are able to put in your post code and it brings up your nearest store. I know Tesco and some Spar shops sell them.

If you buy from Argos you can check out your local store to see if they are in stock and if so reserve on line.

Would you say these would last long on my lido 120 tank?
Looking at co2 but don't want a massive bottle and not finding many local places to me for FE.

Would you say these would last long on my lido 120 tank?
Looking at co2 but don't want a massive bottle and not finding many local places to me for FE.

Hi Matt, not sure how long they last yet. Mine is almost three weeks at 3/4 bps and gauge has hardly moved..still going strong.

Seems you have my problem too, finding someone to fill. That's the attraction to me about the Soda Stream, they are readily available but NOT the cheapest way to go. Mind you Argos offer of under £8 is not bad at all.

Does it say on the bottles how much gas is in them? Machine Mart do 600g bottles for £16.

Hi Rich, Soda Stream bottles are 60 ltrs. Not sure how that equates to 600 gms these metrics really do the heads in of us old folk!!

Edit:
Just looked again and it says 60 ltrs, 425 g so at the moment Soda Stream at Argos is working out at £16 for 850g

When Soda stream say these bottles are 60 litres, they mean it makes 60 litres of fizzy drink. :)
It confused me at first when I was investigating.

Phil.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

[quote="harryH, post: 324245, member: 10933"

Edit:
Just looked again and it says 60 ltrs, 425 g so at the moment Soda Stream at Argos is working out at £16 for 850g[/quote]

its pretty poor value, compared to a pub bottle- but a damn sight more attractive with a small set up.

When Soda stream say these bottles are 60 litres, they mean it makes 60 litres of fizzy drink. :)
It confused me at first when I was investigating.

Phil.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Ha! Ha! I'm loving it....:confused: Now that makes sense Phil, thought it seemed a helluva lot!! It does however say on the box (60 Ltrs 425g) so that makes more sense. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction there:clap:
Harry

[quote="harryH, post: 324245, member: 10933"

Edit:
Just looked again and it says 60 ltrs, 425 g so at the moment Soda Stream at Argos is working out at £16 for 850g

its pretty poor value, compared to a pub bottle- but a damn sight more attractive with a small set up.[/quote]

Spot on, as I keep saying NOT the best value. Mind you if it's only a couple of quid a week, convenient and neat, it has some things in it's favour.
Harry

I might just try them and if they don't last long at all and cost a fortune I can just take the adaptor off and try something else :)
You guys got any pics of your set ups with these on please?

I might just try them and if they don't last long at all and cost a fortune I can just take the adaptor off and try something else :)
You guys got any pics of your set ups with these on please?

Hi Matt,
It's always a good option to have.
You could change to a larger cylinder or fire extinguisher at any time and If you keep the adaptor and a spare full Soda stream, it gives you the option of popping the Soda stream bottle on until the bigger canister is refilled.
My LFS can refill Cyls ( not sure about FE's) but it takes a week for them to do, so if I ever wanted to go down that route its just a case of using the S/stream while I'm waiting for the big refill.
Best of both worlds:thumbup:
Harry.

Hi Matt,
It's always a good option to have.
You could change to a larger cylinder or fire extinguisher at any time and If you keep the adaptor and a spare full Soda stream, it gives you the option of popping the Soda stream bottle on until the bigger canister is refilled.
My LFS can refill Cyls ( not sure about FE's) but it takes a week for them to do, so if I ever wanted to go down that route its just a case of using the S/stream while I'm waiting for the big refill.
Best of both worlds:thumbup:
Harry.

That's a very good idea Harry thanks for that.
I will get the stuff from co2 art I think as they seem pretty good :)

Hello, what is the height of this canister ? I am wondering if will fit in my cupboard.

Hello, what is the height of this canister ? I am wondering if will fit in my cupboard.

The canister is 425 grams Sodastream call it their 60Ltr as that is the amount of drinks it will make and is 36cms, around 14-1/4" tall including the thread.
The thread on the canister sits on top (like a bottle) and therefore you will have to add on the depth of your adaptor and regulatror. The adaptor being the bit that screws on to the bottle thread first and converts it into a suitable thread for the regulator.

Once all assembled, mine is 46cms (18") tall.

Hope that helps,
Harry

Thank you, I had 2kg FE which was 60cm so it should be OK, I am switching to sodastream after my issues with FE.

Thank you, I had 2kg FE which was 60cm so it should be OK, I am switching to sodastream after my issues with FE.

It works well on the smaller aquarium, mine is 80ltrs. Just bear in mind it is not the cheapest way. I bought 2 full canisters from Amazon, check my initial post.

Harry

Back