• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jason's NA 65x43x45

nybraby

So I have posted a few times around the forums asking for help so thought it would be good to start a journal.

I was one of those people who got cornered in an aquatics shop when living in the US, I saw this great ADA tank and wanted one, which the guy was happy to sell me but on a smaller scale, this despite me normally being someone who researches everything to depth.

After moving back to the UK and having all the gear sat n my garage I thought I'd dust it off and have another crack at it.

I was never happy with my previous tank dimension and my wife hated having the filter etc on display, so I have replaced the tank and stand with a tank / cabinet from NA.

Equipment

Tank : 65x43x45
Light : ADA Solar 1 - rewired to a UK ballast
Filter : ADA ES-600
Substrate : EBI Gold

I'm still deciding on what my CO2 set up will be, mainly because I have only found my regulator and not my glassware / solenoid, but will probably be the FE version.

Attachments

• 12467377205_359e95d912_m.jpg
    12467377205_359e95d912_m.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 12467902214_8a2dacc94b_m.jpg
    12467902214_8a2dacc94b_m.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 82
  • 12467404555_70ccdc5653_m.jpg
    12467404555_70ccdc5653_m.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 88
Like it.

Maybe the rock on the left side is a bit too "straightish"

Yeah, I agree, get that rock going at the same angle as the others and you're onto a winner (IMO).

If you are planning on having plants behind the rocks remember to leave enough space for plants and for water to circulate. Alot of people put their hardscape too far back. Unless you are just going for a carpeting plant

You could also try to give the rock to the left an angle to the left. Just experiment with it. I don't think I would prefer all the rocks pointing in the same direction unless they are really "stacked". Like they were once one rock that broke up and started to slide down. I think tilting it the other way would bring a bit of balance to the whole.

Like it.

Maybe the rock on the left side is a bit too "straightish"

Yes that was bothering me a bit and will have a play with it tonight, will try it angled left and right to see what looks best, I did have it slanting slightly down toward the big rock at one point so might give that another go.

If you are planning on having plants behind the rocks remember to leave enough space for plants and for water to circulate. Alot of people put their hardscape too far back. Unless you are just going for a carpeting plant

Will probably just be carpeting plants at the back there as I didn't want plants growing taller than it, is there any kind of minimum space I would need ?

Looks great and the NA gear is awesome!
As for your scape I'd really like to see a front on shot, to judge the heights a bit better. From what I can see the rock on the left needs angling either left or right and there might be too much open space right in the middle. Planting can make such huge difference though. Very hard to say.

Looking forward to seeing more.

So had a play with the left hand stone, not a great photo as I only had the iphone handy
Think I like the stone leaning to the left most

12526568084_ccb3acd250_m.jpg
image by J_Braby, on Flickr

Leaning to right

12526300043_fd55ce23fd_m.jpg
image by J_Braby, on Flickr

Attachments

• 12526568084_ccb3acd250_m.jpg
    12526568084_ccb3acd250_m.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 12526300043_fd55ce23fd_m.jpg
    12526300043_fd55ce23fd_m.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 91
Leaning to the right looks all the same so leaning to left looks better and draws eyes down center I like the layout

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

So have been busy setting up my c02, filter etc, got myself a chrome Fire Extinguisher on ebay for 15 quid so happy with that.

A big thanks to

Co2 art for advice on gear needed and prompt delivery
To Green Machine for advice on plants especially on how many.
The Nutrient Company for advice and prompt delivery.

Here it the tank planted just managing co2 amounts at the moment and trying not to provide too much light, any tips on how many hours to start with a day ?

12694831713_60011493be_n.jpg
Planted
by J_Braby, on Flickr

Attachments

• 12694831713_60011493be_n.jpg
    12694831713_60011493be_n.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 87
Thanks, need to take some better photos tomorrow and also need to get some backing paper.

Not at all

Foreground is Eleocharis mini which I used as I like the grass effect but didn't want anything too big.

I added some cryptocoryne green by the rocks as I think adds some interest.

On the flat rocks I have put some flame moss mainly as I like how it grows upwards and was also recommended by the green machine.

I added some pogostemon erechus in front of the main stone with alternanthera renecki in front of this as I wanted some colour contrast.

Back corners are Vallisneria Tiger just to frame the stones.

So that is my thought process for the plants comments welcome.

Fish and shrimp I haven't decided I like apisto's but don't think they will work I'm probably going to wait until plants are grown in a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back