• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please tell me what that is..

MikeJojo

Hi

Some time ago these little creatures size of sand grain developed in my tank. I don't know why and what that is. Also is it beneficial for my aquarium or I should try to get rid of it?
nevymyda.jpg

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• nevymyda.jpg
    nevymyda.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 71
Should I be worried?

you mean the little white dots ? looks like a fungus, if that makes any sense under water...

Yes, little dots. They move around the tank so I don't think its fungus :)

I don't have a snail :D

Ohh right, I forgot about that :) It emerged just now, couple of months since plants were planted.

Hi MikeJojo,

I can't see the little creatures in your picture but your description could match with Cyclops, little & white copepod crustaceans moving fast in the tank. I this is what you have, don't worry about them.

Try to use a magnifying glass and check if they are like the one in this picture.

They are great as food for young fishes.

Keep us informed!

Cheers,

Jose

That's good there nothing to worry about. Thanks :)

Almost certainly either cyclops or ostracods. Neither are anything to worry about and most fish will enjoy eating them. A quick google image search should enable you to determine which it is, or you can tell by the way they move; cyclops dart about with very quick short movements, whilst ostracods sort of bumble drunkenly around in a seemingly haphazard fashion. The other thing they could be are small freshwater limpets, which just crawl very slowly like sleepy snails.

Are they by a chance algae eaters?

Are they by a chance algae eaters?

If they are Cyclops they feed feed on small fragments of plant material, animals or carrion. If what you have are ostracods they have a wide range of diets depending on the species (carnivores, herbivores, scavengers and filter feeders).

If you have algae problems in your tank ..., I don't think they will solve them :(

Cheers,

Jose

If you have algae problems in your tank ..., I don't think they will solve them :(

I had some problems with algae but now it is all sorting out. These little inmates appeared just about the same time as my algae started to disappear, so I wondered whether it's because of them or due to established environment in regards of co2 level, flow and nutrients I'd managed to achieve :)

Mike

Back