• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fluctuating TDS

Hi guys, so I also am facing difficulties with TDS. Before this I have never checked on my TDS before until recently when I bought the tester.

Before a WC, I have 350 TDS. My stored water are at a maximum of 50 TDS. After doing 60% WC, it was at ~170 TDS. After probably 3-4 hours, it settled at 200 TDS. Then I added 3ml BW Essence K, 1drop ADA Python Git and 1drop ADA Green Gain. I tested 220 TDS the following morning. On the same day at night, it became 250 TDS.

Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure Clive is going to come in on this thread and tell you to stop worrying about/ measuring your TDS :)

Hi Sacha, I was browsing your topic quickly too before posting. But I have plans to add in shrimps which I worry is a sensitivity issue to them, no?

Reading from Sacha's thread, it seems Seiryus do affect the TDS. Like GlenFish asked, I do have rocks and only Seiryus in the tank. Unlike Sacha's snail always at 'water line', I have those ramshorn snails at the soil level.

So far I never tested GH and KH, should I?

Seiryu stone will definitely raise TDS. If your planning to keep crystal red shrimp then i would think about swapping the rocks for something inert. Cherry shrimp and there variations will probably be ok.

I'm pretty sure Clive is going to come in on this thread and tell you to stop worrying about/ measuring your TDS :)
that's all very well , buy some fish are much happier at low tds.

My boraras for example, will NOT DISPLAY above 180 tds ( ish)

So why would I not care about tds?

Its due diligence in my opinion, to know wtf is going on in your tank.

Well Darren, TDS is a completely arbitrary measurement. It is irrelevant unless you know what the solids comprise.

Your bororas will not display above a certain hardness/ pH. TDS is irrelevant to them.

Seiryu stone will definitely raise TDS. If your planning to keep crystal red shrimp then i would think about swapping the rocks for something inert. Cherry shrimp and there variations will probably be ok.

Well I don't plan to put in fancy CRS. Cherry would suffice for me. But still my TDS would go up to close 400 some time ago when it was close to end of week.

Well Darren, TDS is a completely arbitrary measurement. It is irrelevant unless you know what the solids comprise.

Your bororas will not display above a certain hardness/ pH. TDS is irrelevant to them.

Can I say that TDS is a summarized measurement instead of the detailed measurement like PH GH KH etc.

well I know my solids aren't unobtanium or molybdenum.

Divvy tds by 18. Jobs a goodun.

Back