• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

When everything is going well... ?

Rob P

As a newb to planted tanks with what i consider an experimental tank (as in it's been my 1st hi tech effort), when you have what appears to be a good set up with good flow, good co2, good ferts, good light and it all appears to be in balance - plants are healthy, pearling & growing rampantly and you have zero algae/issues, is there a next step?

I mean my TMC Grobeams are on for like 6.5hrs or so at 90% and i'm not inclined to change it (would only have it coming on earlier if anything and I wouldn't be home anyway), but is there any benefit increasing photo period for example?

Maintenance is quite managable, weekly big water change, glass & equipment clean and then trimming.

I guess what i'm saying is i've spent lots of time (and money!) learning and implementing the fundamentals of a high energy tank and seem to have achieved success. I have a new tank in the wings that i'll attempt a decent scape in but that won't be ready to start for a couple more months (and the thought scares me! :eek: ).

Should I just rest on my laurels, enjoy the tank developing as is and be ready to transfer what i've learned and achieved to the new tank (that will inevitably create new challenges), or is there 'something else' I could be doing in the meantime to better prepare for the next instalment? After all, i'd rather practice in the experimental tank than the next one :)

Sorry for what seems a silly question! :shy:

...sit back and enjoy...so I'm guessing you are happy with the twinstar?
well done

...sit back and enjoy...so I'm guessing you are happy with the twinstar? well done

Thank you :) Yes I am happy with Twinstar (and CO2, flow, EI etc ;)), i'm also thankful to the many member of UKAPS who have helped me so far :clap: It's hard to explain the difference in feeling of a couple of months ago (a horrible brown tank and hours of weekly maintenance) to just seeing super healthy plants and a fresh looking (pathetically scaped!!) tank. I guess a few people know the feeling :) My OH has been very supportive over the last 6 months (although she expects more DIY jobs to get finished these days, damn her... :D)

You know the next step

A full fledged scape, with healthy plants and fish.

A full fledged scape, with healthy plants and fish

:woot: :nailbiting: :dead:

I guess trying for some form of carpet will be a nightmare, I can't even begin to think about how you guys plant, trim and maintain those things... I don't really have room to try beforehand, and my cories always had other ideas whenever i've had a slight carpeting plant in before!

:woot: :nailbiting: :dead:

I guess trying for some form of carpet will be a nightmare, I can't even begin to think about how you guys plant, trim and maintain those things... I don't really have room to try beforehand, and my cories always had other ideas whenever i've had a slight carpeting plant in before!
My 40 litre nano is injected co2, florabase with Monte Carlo and eleocharis sp mini 1-2 grow.

apart from water changes and squirts of tropica, its neglected - and thriving! even though i forget to refill my soda stream bottles...

flow is the issue. My 20x turnover is too much to ensure nice distribution.

.....when you have what appears to be a good set up with good flow, good co2, good ferts, good light and it all appears to be in balance - plants are healthy, pearling & growing rampantly and you have zero algae/issues, is there a next step?

It's now time to work on your chosen aquatic themed neurosis...

I guess what i'm saying is i've spent lots of time (and money!) learning and implementing the fundamentals of a high energy tank and seem to have achieved success.

Rinse and repeat until bankrupt ;)

Glad to hear you are doing well. All the challenges are what makes it interesting..at least that's what I keep telling myself!;)
Harry.

Nothing wrong with a regiment of tanks ;)

Useless fact of the day: The collective noun for tanks (military) is a clatter or a clank

Back