• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting for 35l and headaches

malabarpuffer

Seedling
Hello all,

I'm brand new to the world of freshwater and have been researching planted tanks for a little while now. I'm wanting to run a low-tech heavily planted 35l and I've been reading so much conflicting information on lighting that my head hurts.

I have bought a light after reading Sudeep Mandal's guide to setting up a low-tech aquarium and he suggested the watts to gallon ratio, so I bought an 11w arcadia ellipse clip on light. Since then I have read WTG is an outdated method and it's all about Parr (which is impossible to guess and expensive to read... handy!).

Is 11w for what I want too little in light?

Thanks in advance.

Tank is 28cm and substrate will be 2 or 3 inches deep (haven't decided yet). Thanks for your imput, that's a relief. :)

Ooh, thanks for the link, that is a beautiful tank. I didn't want to go for a brighter light because once the tank has settled I'll be adding pygmy puffers and I heard if the light is too strong, they become shy. So I'm glad 11w will be sufficient.

Reactions: tim
Ooh, thanks for the link, that is a beautiful tank. I didn't want to go for a brighter light because once the tank has settled I'll be adding pygmy puffers and I heard if the light is too strong, they become shy. So I'm glad 11w will be sufficient.
That'll be fine for low tech mate, I kept Pygmy puffers for a while lovely little fish, they will appreciate lots of plants and shady areas you can always add floating plants if you find the light too strong.

I've heard mixed info on puffers in regards to size tank. I've read they are best kept either on their own or in groups of 3 (1 male, 2 female), would 3 be too much in a 35l tank with a 150l/ph filter?

Back