• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My First Planted Tank (The End) Juwel Rio 125

Re: My First Planted Tank - Juwel Rio 125

JAmesM said:
And from me! :p
Hehe very true ;) that portion was so small that it got lost amongst the other lol maybe its your fault then! lol

those little otto hide i thought i lost some and they turned up!! Looks lush, loving the greeness... wow

LondonDragon said:
JAmesM said:
And from me! :p
Hehe very true ;) that portion was so small that it got lost amongst the other lol maybe its your fault then! lol
That was an Aquatic Magic sized portion lol, and no, my Fissedens is clear thank you :p

Great job with the mid ground Paulo, its getting better and better each update :)

I would love if you'd post an original size frontal image of your tank! I have a 1920x1200 display, it's a shame I can not get a full screen picture. Please... :)

Many thanks everyone :) I sure am working on that mid ground, its coming along nicely but the Helferi doesn't grow that fast, which is not a bad thing but its taking time to fill in. Glosso took a heavy trim so its not looking great at the moment, but it will be fine in a couple of weeks and its better than replanting it ;)

Keymaker here the photos you requested:

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

keymaker said:
Great!!! Thx! Looking really good, Paulo. What's the deal with the second water pump?
What do you mean by the second water pump?

Gosh, this tank just keeps getting better. Good work!

LondonDragon said:
What do you mean by the second water pump?
Oh, I'm missing something... :? What's on the wall with the suction cup (I know that's a Hydor Koralia) and what's the other on the gravel below? I thought both are pumps and was wondering why you need two.

YzemaN said:
Gosh, this tank just keeps getting better. Good work!
I am trying, many thanks :)

keymaker said:
Oh, I'm missing something... :? What's on the wall with the suction cup (I know that's a Hydor Koralia) and what's the other on the gravel below? I thought both are pumps and was wondering why you need two.
The one on the gravel is the CO2 diffusor ;) check here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1152&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90#p16320

JamesC said:
LondonDragon said:
Thanks John, the fissedens came from JamesC ;) so not sure where it originated from.
Aquatic Magic on ebay. Fantastic plant.

James

Hi James,thank you for the heads up,regards john.

LondonDragon said:
Matt I didn't sandwich the moss between two meshes, I don't like that and takes an eternity for it to look half decent, like this its already looks complete, I will post some photos later this evening.
Not having great luck with my pets this week, found a problem in the eye of my dog yesterday too and have to take it to the vet this evenning and hope is nothing serious!

So how do you attach the moss- do you just tie it on to the front of the mesh? Only ask as mine is taking sometime to come through the mesh and I suspect that the SAE are nibbling away at the growing ends that poke through. Got a nice portion of taiwan moss from SteveUK so hopefully that will grow quicker than the xmas moss.

Like the fontanus moss- how quick/ easy is that to grow?

Sorry to hear about the losses. It's one of the most frustrating things about this hobby when something goes wrong and you don't know why. At least you can optimise your stocking to a planted tank though.

Spider Pig said:
So how do you attach the moss- do you just tie it on to the front of the mesh? Only ask as mine is taking sometime to come through the mesh and I suspect that the SAE are nibbling away at the growing ends that poke through. Got a nice portion of taiwan moss from SteveUK so hopefully that will grow quicker than the xmas moss.
Using cotton thread just attach it to the front of the mesh, it will cover it from day one and look great, if you "sandwich" it, it will take months before it covers the mesh, mine is already look great after one week ;)
I also have some Taiwan moss in the tank, its grows nicely, not sure if it will look great as a moss wall, your best bet would be weeping like I use, it grows pretty fast comparing to most other mosses.

Spider Pig said:
Like the fontanus moss- how quick/ easy is that to grow?
Grows very fas really, but can capture a lot of dirty in it and you need so shake it often to clear it, think that why I am having some algae issues with mine. But yesterday I ripped it all out and placed it in the shrimp tank, this morning I could hardly see any algae left!!

Spider Pig said:
Sorry to hear about the losses. It's one of the most frustrating things about this hobby when something goes wrong and you don't know why. At least you can optimise your stocking to a planted tank though.
I hate loosing fish, everytime I loose one I get really upset and feel like giving this all in, so for now won't get any more fish and concentrate on the plants, the fish I have left are planted tank friendly so leave it as that for now ;)

That's where I'm going wrong then (or just being impatient). Will try that will the wall when I get a chance. Using xmas moss on one side and taiwan on the other so see which is best- hope to have patches of different textures in the future. By the way, how thickly do you spread the moss? Do you just do it sparsely so there is room to grow or completely cover it?

Spider Pig said:
By the way, how thickly do you spread the moss? Do you just do it sparsely so there is room to grow or completely cover it?
Just a thin layer spread equally all over the mesh to cover as much of it as possible ;)

Spider Pig said:
I suspect that the SAE are nibbling away at the growing ends that poke through.

I reckon you are on to something there. SAE's find moss very tasty. They turn a lot of the moss 'stringy' in my tank where they nibble away at it. I have taken to growing some of my mosses in pots on a windowsill for now and will add them to the tank (in the form of a moss wall) once I have removed the SAE's! Its just mosses (and possibly glosso) they have a taste for. They leave everything else well alone.

a1Matt said:
Spider Pig said:
I suspect that the SAE are nibbling away at the growing ends that poke through.

I reckon you are on to something there. SAE's find moss very tasty. They turn a lot of the moss 'stringy' in my tank where they nibble away at it. I have taken to growing some of my mosses in pots on a windowsill for now and will add them to the tank (in the form of a moss wall) once I have removed the SAE's! Its just mosses (and possibly glosso) they have a taste for. They leave everything else well alone.

That happened to the moss that I tied to stones, but at the time I assumed it was just a dodgy batch of emersed stuff that hadn't taken to submerged well. How do you grow the moss on the windowsill- just leave it in an open container or do you need a pump for flow?

Also one hint I can give you LD (not that you need any) to help clear what's in your tank is to get a ceramic diffuser and put it in the internal filter. Don't know why I didn't do it before. Had tried with an airstone, but the bubbles were too big and didn't dissolve. With the diffuser hardly any bubbles get sucked through the impeller so low noise and high efficiency as well as decluttering the tank a little bit. Hopefully the diffuser won't need cleaning as often as well. Just a thought.

Just a quick update, just letting things grow at the moment, haven't been to LFS so no new stems, just working with I got on the right hand side, still not happy about it. Have removed the Fissidens Fontanus from the redmoor wood and placed it in the shrimp tank as I had an algae issue with it, almost clearned now ;)
Got all the spare parts I ordered to sort out my external, it was leaking, new o-rings sorted everything :)

Some photos:
pict0195wb8.jpg

pict0210jk8.jpg

pict0224mt0.jpg

Taiwan Moss:
pict0228tl6.jpg

Spiky Moss:
pict0236fj4.jpg

Weeping moss wall:
pict0238zb2.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

I just love your tank and am working very hard with mine at the moment! The growth is fab with just flora boost and easy carbo, can't wait until I get my injection and ferts sorted properly!

Back