• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Circulation pumps: shape of the flow

Koralia for circulation work for me like you mention.
Powerhead's on the otherhand often create more concentrated flow through smaller area of the tank.
Pardon me if your talking about pump application for sump which I have Zero expierience with.
Are some high dollar Vortec pump's out there, but I manage to get by with the cheaper Koralia's.

The Vortech MP range by EcoTecarine would have the widest flow path. Other pumps to consider include Tunze (their wavebox provides big water movement instead of direct flow). You could like at the Jebae range of MP pumps for a cheaper alternative and of course there is the koralia brand too.

What are you looking to achieve? Knowing this might make providing direction a bit easier :)

Which pump/method would cause a large volume to move slow as opposed to a small volume moving fast which seems to be the result of most circ.pumps?

Just re-read this - if you simply increase the diameter of your plumbing you will decease the velocity of the flow but not the amount of water you're moving. Eg, pump as 25mm output, connect this to 32mm or even 40mm output plumbing. But this is talking in terms of closed loops, sump returns etc not in tank pumps.

Attach the output of the koralia to a diy jumbo spray bar of say 5cm inner diameter and use 1cm holes :cool:

A central heating pump might be cheaper. There are some great ones with adjustable flow rates. In a tank that size multiple spray bars as well

Have a look at grundfos alpha 2L on fleabay

Back