• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Akwarium

akwarium

Hello UKaps,

After a while of just reading, it's time to start a journal myself (at least according to a certain Londoner)

First my 80 cm tank, it's an oldie, scratched and damaged but still fine for experimenting with plants, fertilizer, etc. I'm planning to make a new tank next summer, to replace this one.

on week after set up

2014-02-18%2000-32-45.JPG

plants:
Eleocharis acicularis
Marsilea hirsuta
Cryptocoryne crispulata var balansea
Cryptocoryna albida
Microserum pteropus var trident
Hydrotocyle triptaria
Vesicularia sp.
Hottonia palustris

Substrate; zeolite, peat, osmocote, activated carbon powder and lava powder, covered whit al layer of sand.
Fertiliser: DIY CO2, EI stock solutions whit extra ironsulfate.

My Trichogaster lalius male had other plans whit the eleocharis....

lalius.jpg

Fish:

20 Boraras maculatus
1/1 Trichogaster lalius
1/2 Trichogaster chuna
5 Caridina multidenta
6 juv. "Puntius" hexazona

comments please

Beautiful!!

Just out of interest, why the extra iron?

Its about the sulfate in this case, the osmocote type fertiliser in the substrate contains high levels of potassium, so I don't ad potassiumsulfate (K2SO4) to the macro stock solution. I saw sings of a shortage of sulfate (older leaves getting yellow spots and die), and a little extra iron won't hurt....

Hello Vaz,
made some pics;

it starts here; 10 liter can whit 6-7 L water, some sugar and a little yeast, a 25 watt heater keeps it at 22 degrees C.
IMG_0611.JPG

inside the tank it looks like this:
IMG_0605.JPG

The CO2 is blown down by a small pump, de walls of the bottle keep de bubbles inside, only really small bubbles can escape.

the pump is also used to keep the water surface clean:
IMG_0604.JPG

its cheap, effective and ugly;)

Attachments

• IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0604.JPG
    IMG_0604.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 85
The grass may be gone, but it's still a lovely looking scape. Very nice and liking the DIY C02 - I messed around with that method over a decade ago and yes mine was just as effective and ugly! :)

That might work if the aquarium and the can where the CO2 is produced are at the same hight.
When the can is standing underneath the aquarium (like I have) the pressure of the water standing above it keeps the CO2 inside the can until the pressure inside the can is higher than the water pressure.
Instead of a nice bubble every second, the CO2 comes out in bigger burps every 20 seconds or so.

Another advantage of this system is that the amount of CO2 can be controlled by adjusting the flow rate of the powerhead. Excess CO2 will build up inside the bottle until it bubbles out trough a hole in the side. Not all the CO2 produced gets dissolved, so the CO2 level stays more constant.

Back