• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pllants whilst cycling tank.

jaycat

Hi,

I'm starting a new tank, wanted to know if the plants will be alright through the cycling process of adding amonia please?

Thank you, Jackie.

I've done this before and yes, they are fine but, given that ammonia can trigger algae, why not wait until the tank is cycled? You'll typically need to do a large water change at the end of a fishless cycle to get the nitrate level down and that's a good time to add the plants.

Don't fishless cycle and add plants at the same time. Fishless cycles need to be done in the dark to prevent algae outbreaks. Also elevated levels of ammonia will burn plants.

So if you wish to do your fishless cycle then best to do it in the dark and with no plants. Then when finished add plants and fish. Or just add loads of plants to start with and add fish slowly.

James

Thanks guys, I'll cover the tank and add the plants when the cycle is complete. :)

Back