• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Turtle

Yes I have seen them in a number of fish shops, rarely much choice though. What part of the country?

I'm sure you will, but read up on keeping them before you consider buying one, they can live a long time, some grow really big so will need a huge aquarium. They probably require uv lamps, (not sure if all do) and need really good filtration, they are pretty messy.
Oh, and most turtles and fish don't mix, so require seperate tanks ;)

I'm sure you will, but read up on keeping them before you consider buying one, they can live a long time, some grow really big so will need a huge aquarium. They probably require uv lamps, (not sure if all do) and need really good filtration, they are pretty messy.
Oh, and most turtles and fish don't mix, so require seperate tanks ;)

Yeah just waching some videos and how to keep them and how big they can get... Also I have old tank so she will go there....

Thank you for help :)

I believe they can be a bit nippy too, but maybe that is just the snapping ones. Seriously agree with the messy, and tanks need to be covered too they are adventurous

What you need is something like this:

d6cae4250fc0235246d959b3cababe80.jpg

How big is your old tank? Usually the best turtles to start with are the smaller musk turtles - these don't reach a very large size, are slightly more aquatic in habit and less dependant on expensive UV bulbs compared to other turtles like sliders.

All turtles are very messy though so be prepared to spend a lots on an oversized external filter for whatever size of tank you plan on keeping them in :).

Also, as has been mentioned , they live a long time if kept properly, so be prepared to be doing big smelly water changes on the turtle tank every week or so for the rest of your life!

Turtles are a big commitment unless you already own a tropical pond...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. I was thinking about undegravel filter. Is it a good idea or not realy
I think it may depend on what turtles you are planning to keep, some turtles eat gravel, and it might not be a good idea to keep them on gravel I would probably go for sand (obv not with a ug filter!) large stones etc and a good external filter

Last edited:
Hello,

thank you for the feedback. The tank is 50l but I think that gonna be a bit small now. Yes I was thinking about the musk turles as I hear they do not get too big... I was thinking about undegravel filter. Is it a good idea or not realy?
Yes, unfortunately 50L is far too small for any turtle species.

Musk turtles would indeed be your best option, a good set-up would be something like 80-100L for one turtle, ideally larger. As you would expect, the dimensions of the tank are whats important, not the volume. The water will be shallow so you want a wide tank and long tank (15" minimum width, 24" minimum length).

Sorry to say an under gravel filter would be very, very poor on a turtle tank. As mentioned by Fern, they ideally shouldn't be kept on gravel in case they swallow it, but even if this weren't the case, an under gravel filter wouldn't even nearly be powerful enough. Keeping turtles isn't like keeping fish in a planted tank, its much messier. Without a seriously oversized filtration system, the water will be full of ammonia, turtle poo and other toxins. I would recommend nothing less than a large external filter, the bigger the better.

Then there is the heat bulb + fittings and expensive UV bulb + fitting to consider (UV is preferred, but not 100% necessary for musks) .

As a side note, its certainly worthwhile checking Gumtree for people selling/giving away their turtle set-ups, give an unwanted turtle a good home. As mentioned before, these animals are a life-long commitment, but so many people fail to recognise this before impulse buying.

Hello,

Thank you very much to both of you for great guide :)
Unfortunately that's sad news. However I want the best for them so I will have to think about this again. My GF do not want to let my have a bigger tank but I think she will have to now as it is going to be for her :p

Also I totally forgot about Gumtree... Thk for that it is a great Idea :)

One more question if you do not mind. I know turtle eat pretty much any plant but is there anything what I can I keep with them as I do not want to have just plastic plants in it.

Thank you all again

Vaz

I know turtle eat pretty much any plant but is there anything what I can I keep with them as I do not want to have just plastic plants in it.

Would something like a riparium set up be suitable?
Like this, so you have the plants in small containers stuck on the glass (obv turtles need access to get out of the water, just showing this for an example, and a much bigger tank)

19-ii-09-tank-i-s1_zpsd759e63f.jpg

Attachments

• 19-ii-09-tank-i-s1_zpsd759e63f.jpg
    19-ii-09-tank-i-s1_zpsd759e63f.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 317
Back