• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No Boy Scout: Attaching Java Moss.

EnderUK

So my last attempt of attaching moss ended with zero sticking to the wood before the fish and current ripped it off. I still need to remove the fishing line I used.

I'd make a terible fisherman, my knot skills are pretty poor. So I'm looking at super glue.

I've ordered 1-2-grow java moss and was simple planning on dabbing super glue near the end of each strand. Any used this method, some say it harms fish/shrimp others says it's fine. any input?

I did try a seach but what I've read was very limited. I guess I can try cotton thread this time around if this is a bad idea.

yes ive used it for moss the best super glue to use is the jel type wilkinsons sell it amongst others i find the easiest way
to do it is to put a blob or 2 in the areas u want the moss drop the moss on the glue and spray with a little water this sets the glue
instantly easy no hassle no boy scout lol
:)

I blot the wood with a paper towel after taking out of tank, apply a dot or two of super glue to the wood, and attach the centre of the moss as well as near the end if the piece is largish.

... and mind your fingers :lol:

Use the cyanoacrylate type super glue. Most including myself will use the gel form instead of the liquid form as it is easier to work with. The liquid form will run and when submerged will leave a white residue across the surface of where it had run across. The gel will also leave the residue but since it will not likely to run across the surface it will remain hidden once the moss grows over it.

Well I think I was a little over zealous on the super glue. The pieces of wood have some pretty big white patchs even afer using the gel type. Still I'm hoping in a month or two that will be completely gone. I under estimated the amount of 1-2-grow moss. Didnt look much and started by glueing single strands, over the two hours that went to two, then three stands by the end it was multiple strands per patch.

Thanks for the advice folks, my fingers are still a little green from the moss super glue mix.

I tried the Loctite superglue gel and it was crap so did a stealthy ninja attack on hubby's machine shop and stole his Hafix superglue :shh: worked perfectly :D

Hey,
Taken from my old journal:

I got tired of seeing the stainless steel mesh through my Fissidens fox, so bought some ADA Riccia stones ( after looking for 'black slate' to no avail).

nyvaru4e.jpg

bu4ydu8y.jpg

Dab glue and stick the moss in one direction, as it looks so much better:

etyze9y3.jpg

Layered effect taking shape:

su7y4epa.jpg

Completed stone :

u3e3a8uq.jpg

4emygema.jpg

ehubyjem.jpg

Need a quick trim in about a week, and they should look the business. Got lots more of them to do :)

Finished :

ebagebyd.jpg

Back