• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hey Ady, thanks fella I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of the true bee breeding... Not looking like many, any, female true bees though so may have to buy a few.
Think ill just remove it, once the ferns grow in then theyll get lost anyway...

how's your marine coming along?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched this when I last had babies and thought it seemed like tonnes of food but I crushed some pellets and mixed them with some biozyme and chucked it in. It all seemed to be eaten within a day :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Obvious could be lots of things,but just looking at your recent posts do you think it something to do with food going down un the substrate and spoiling causing a problem to water quality?Maybe if you change water give the substrate a good clean with a gravel cleaner especially where you drop pellets or wafers.
I saw a video from a German top shrimp retailer(Garnelen Tom) showing the state of the substrate over a period of time due to waste and uneaten bits the shrimp could not get.He went right down to the bottom glass with the gravel cleaner,also releasing gas that came out in bubbles.Just a thought.
Up filtration if you can and aeriation can definately be beneficial.
Fingers crossed for you,!
Cheers Mark

Hey mark, I had been thinking the new feeding could be part of the problem so knocked it on the head.
Gave it a large WC this morning with matching tds and temp, no new deaths so figures crossed.

Haven't moved any yet as need to get an intake guard, will pop some sponge round it for now and get some moved when I'm home again.

Hey mark, I had been thinking the new feeding could be part of the problem so knocked it on the head.
Gave it a large WC this morning with matching tds and temp, no new deaths so figures crossed.

Haven't moved any yet as need to get an intake guard, will pop some sponge round it for now and get some moved when I'm home again.

There is a good chance it is the new feeding levels you used.As before you had no problems.Very glad to hear that there are no new losses:thumbup: Let us know any progress on shrimp transfer to new tank.Cheers Mark.

Hi Iain, I was wondering how you perform maintanence on the substrate ithout hoovering up the little shrimplets. I have sand in my nano that is in desprate need of a vac but everytime I look there are tons of babbies on it so I don't want to hoover them all up.

I stir all the exposed ada substrate in my shrimp tanks every few days, and the shrimps love it.
They come from all corners of the tank to pick from it. i assume as well as debris, and waste and decaying leaves, its the boi film that attracts them to it

From my point of view, any surplus gets darwn into the external filters, and it keeps the substrate fresh, and reasonably clean.
Whatever, it works well for me, and I've had no shrimp deaths in over a couple of years.

Great thread to follow, particularly having just acquired a group of Taiwan bees.

I stir all the exposed ada substrate in my shrimp tanks every few days, and the shrimps love it.
They come from all corners of the tank to pick from it. i assume as well as debris, and waste and decaying leaves, its the boi film that attracts them to it

That's a good trick. So you're using ADA (amazonia)? I have some left from the 60P I just set up and was wondering if I should use it for a small 20L cube or order Red Bee sand...
Once the 60P is fully up and running in a week or 2 I'll clean out the cube and set it up for a small Taiwan Bee group :)
This thread has been great info indeed!

That's a good trick. So you're using ADA (amazonia)? I have some left from the 60P I just set up and was wondering if I should use it for a small 20L cube or order Red Bee sand...
Once the 60P is fully up and running in a week or 2 I'll clean out the cube and set it up for a small Taiwan Bee group :)
This thread has been great info indeed!
When i started planted tanks , ada came highly recommended.
So i went with it and never changed, and my Four Tanks of plants and shrimps thrive. I appreciate there are several other highly recommended substrates out there.

I've read a few threads/posts where the ADA substrate turned to liquid mud after 3-4 years of intense shrimp "handling". It appears they just pluck it apart and then the water turns to mud :(
I'm guessing special shrimp substrates are harder and don't deteriorate like this.

You would be lucky if a substrate lasts 3/4 years!Most shrimp substrates will stop buffering the water after 1 year or 18 months max.Cheers Mark

More than anything they will stop buffering the water and your parameters will go all wonky after about a year, so may still look OK but you will end up with alkaline hard water ....

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Hi Iain, we met a few months ago at the MA in Coton where Tai works. Just read the whole thread, love these setups and the shrimp are stunning. How often do you feed them, and also how often do you deep clean the substrate? I've only ever kept Red Cherries myself, but am thinking about progressing more with different species of shrimp. This journal has been very helpful.

Hi Ian.
Been following your thread with great interest, and some expense .

My Taiwan bees have been with me for a couple of months now and all going well.
I have about 10, spread between blue bolts. king kong, and 2 f1.
In your experience would you sugest, anything else.

Having done CRS for some years now, looking fowards to whats produced, anything like yours, and will be well pleased.
Cheers

Hey Steve, sorry for the tardy response... Been a bit busy of late.
I'm back to my old feeding regime now as I had a few death after feeding them like in the video. My theory is that maybe the MC carpet stops the shrimps from getting to the food so a lot is decaying???
So now I feed maybe 4 times a week with one scoop either gravidas, organic spirulina or bio plus along with bt9 a couple of times a week.
I also supliment this with once a week with white pellet and once a week something like dried pumpkin or nettle pellets.
I'd only feed this often as there are so many now, the new one has maybe 15 in and I feed that at best once a week but for my enjoyment to see them together, no more until it gets closer to 50.

Never cleaned the substrate, it gets mixed review wether is beneficial or not, most breeders in breeders and keepers magazine say they don't clean but do replace annually.

If you want to pop round anytime for a chat or if you want some taiwans to try out just flick me a pm.

Hey bogwood, nothing to suggest really mate aside bits I've mentioned recently. Once the tank is past 3 months it was fairly plain sailing... Try to keep a steady maintenance routine, check tds and ensure good surface movement then just sit back and enjoy.

Back