• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Transfering young Killis to community tank

idris

I have about a dozen young Killis (6 months old) that I've raised in a 25L tank and it's time to move them to my 250L community tank.

The only fish that are likely to be a threat to them are a pair of Dwarf Gouramis, and as they don't hassle my Rasboras or the smaller of my Neons, and the Killis are about the same size, I'm not concerned about their safety.

However ...
The Killis are used to being fed on brine shrimp twice a day and I'd like to stop hatching these.
I'm far less diligent about feeding the fish in the main tank which tend to get a mix of flake, dried blood worms and shrimp pellets once every couple of days.
Should I be at all concerned about the young Killis having to compete for food with slightly larger tank mates?

Personally I would try and wean them slowly onto other foods ie a good quality crushed flake and other live/frozen food before transfering them, gradually reducing the brine shrimp diet, sticking to just one type of food for a long time might not be good long term

Also not too sure about the compatability between the gourami and killifish, some say it's ok, some say not :confused:

Hi Idris, you dont mention what species they are, something like Gardneri would have no trouble but some of the Aphyosemions can be picky feeders, if they have already been intoduced to flake foods they will probably just adapt. Dont forget that in the wild they dont get lots of food all the time, they can manage on very little and if something else is feeding they will soon try the same thing.

Colourful fish, a little gaudy maybe, but I quite like them.... they have a tendency to jump.......:oops:

They're Aphyosemion Striatum and I got them for their "gaudy" colours. I've had adult Aphyosemion before and the Gouramis didn't seem to be a problem.

I hadn't considered their infrequent feeding in the wild, but that's good news considering my lax fishkeeping style.:(
(I know they jump. I've found that out the hard way once before and they won't be able to do so this time.)

They don't seem at all upset at moving on to flake once a day.
What sort of period do you think they'll take to acclimatise to flake once a day?

Back